Overdrive solenoid issue

I am afraid I have an issue with the overdrive solenoid on my 52 Hornet. The symptoms are it will not engage. I have followed all the diagnostics for the electrical components found in the Hudson service manual, all is well with the exception of the solenoid.
When I apply 6 volts to the #4 terminal ( engage circuit) on the solenoid the plunger extends as it should. 
However if I then apply 6 volts to the #6 terminal
( maintain circuit) then remove the current from the engage terminal the plunger retracts?
I have looked at the contact points on the solenoid, these appear to be fine.
Before I source a replacement solenoid, I’m hoping that someone with more experience can check my diagnosis and advise.

Dave

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No. 6 terminal should not have voltage on it, it is a ground source for the ignition coil during a "kick-down" operation. 
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Thanks Geoff,
    So you are saying that #4 terminal has current applied as long as the solenoid is engaged as in overdrive?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, that is correct.   To be more accurate, it has voltage applied, which causes current to flow.   There is an internal set of contacts which energise the hold in coil, and opens the  pull in circuit.   The pull-in is a very heavy coil that takes a high current, and once energised the hold in coil takes a very small current. 
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    So I have to ask,....If the hold in coil was bad, would the solenoid pulse back and forth or chatter??

Dave
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes it would.  
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Thanks Geoff, you have saved me the cost of a replacement solenoid.
    Merry Christmas to all

Dave