Need Intake Manifold

Unknown
edited November -1 in Swapmeets
Hi, I have a 390 w/ 2 barrel carb on my 69 galaxie and I want to purchase a new intake w/ 4 barrel carb capabilities so that I can throw on a holley 650. Also would anyone recommend me NOT make this switch and why? Thanks

Comments

• Depends on what you are going to use the car for, the 390 was a real hog on gas from the factory. Father-in-law had a new one, don't recall if it was 2 or 4 barrel but I could'nt afford to borrow it when gas was 28.9
  • ok, well i dont care about gas mileage, if anything some more breathing room would make the engine more efficient. does anyone on here have any real answers?
  • I think that Terraplane's answer was real.

You don't ask much of a question other then you want to put a 650 on a 390. Depending on what you want the car to do or how you want it to act maybe you need to talk to someone from Jeggs or Summit. They will have all the data on 650 carbs and what you need to know before you make the swap.

I hope you find your answers

Ron
  • 37 Terraplane#2 wrote:
    Depends on what you are going to use the car for, the 390 was a real hog on gas from the factory. Father-in-law had a new one, don't recall if it was 2 or 4 barrel but I could'nt afford to borrow it when gas was 28.9

so what Terraplane is saying is that a 650 carb would be to much and just waste fuel, therefor ruining my gas mileage.

ok well i really just want to experiment with this car/engine because i got it for free. im planning on throwing on headers and build my own exhaust with laker pipes. and new intake/carb.

so what i really need is some who has any great advice or someone who has an intake for me.

Thanks

BTW, i bought a book on rebuilding for big block engines that i plan to read before i start tear down so im not in the dark.
  • I will say one thing....... I commend your desire to get the information before you dive into something that could go terrible wrong. I come across many that do things without thinking an end up in a mess that just themself or someone else a ton of money to rectify.

I had (and still have) a friend that bought a 69 Galaxie brand new back in the day. It was a great car and one I at the time thought was rather quick for it's size.

Ron
  • Oldcar_Mechanic wrote:

I had (and still have) a friend that bought a 69 Galaxie brand new back in the day. It was a great car and one I at the time thought was rather quick for it's size.

Ron

The size is definitely a problem for this vehicle. I don't plan on it being a rocket, i just dont want a grandmas cruiser.

I have found some headers and intake manifolds online, but im still looking for anyone who has either of these components used, because as long as their are not cracked, metal is metal to me for this car.

Thanks
  • Well, here's my 2 cents worth.

I personally don't think that a 650 Holley is going to be "to much" for a 390. I've got a '69 428 running a factory 730 Holley and that works great, i also with the use of an adapter plate put a 600 Holley on my '78 Cougar 351W summer beater, if i keep the car any longer i'll probably switch out the manifold to a 4 barrel. So much of how well they work depends on final tuning.

I think that anytime you can switch up to a 4 barrel is a good thing.

If you're looking for a used manifold, check your local swap meets or maybe craigslist. If you find one that you can't go and pick-up the shipping will kill you, those things are HEAVY.

Phil.
  • phil40_1 wrote:
    Well, here's my 2 cents worth.

I personally don't think that a 650 Holley is going to be "to much" for a 390. I've got a '69 428 running a factory 730 Holley and that works great, i also with the use of an adapter plate put a 600 Holley on my '78 Cougar 351W summer beater, if i keep the car any longer i'll probably switch out the manifold to a 4 barrel. So much of how well they work depends on final tuning.

I think that anytime you can switch up to a 4 barrel is a good thing.

If you're looking for a used manifold, check your local swap meets or maybe craigslist. If you find one that you can't go and pick-up the shipping will kill you, those things are HEAVY.

Phil.

Thanks alot, i have definitely decided that I am going to get a new manifold from eldebrock, and a set of headers, and see how much difference that makes, I am also going to do a complete rebuild of the engine before that. I bought a nice book on ford big block engine tear down and rebuilds.

Hopefully i'll be able to post on here in a few months with my pros/cons of the whole operation!
  • oh good grief!!!!!!.........I see absolutely no real help here so I tell you what, I'm a member of 460ford.com and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU VISIT! vast information on big block fords and any engine build or recomendation you could ever dream up. As far as yours....It depends on what it is exactly you want from your 390FE. (and yes I know its not a 385 series) Not a grocery getter? but not something you want to tear into and replace with a hotter cam??....Your VERY LIMITED TO WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT without a complete teardown and rebuild. A 650cfm carb is WAY TO SMALL even for a 390. It would be happy with a good 750. The headers are a good addition and allows room to grow, but there not really going to make a difference youre going to feel. My advice, save your money and have a MACHINE SHOP REBUILD THE ENGINE There are some things ONLY they can do. Cam bearings, boring/honing, balancing, pressing of piston pins, and turning the crank. etc. etc. If you want a good stout street motor, have it rebuild and ASK YOUR MACHINIST about a cam recomendation, He will set you in the right direction. Watch a few videos and read books about cylinder head porting and clean up. The stock heads are great for a mild street build where you can EXPECT 450hp. With the long stroke of the 390 the torque will be real close to your final horsepower numbers also. As far as the intake.....Buy it new man!......Only about 285$ from jegs, Internet is alot cheaper!

Come visit me at 460ford.com and I swear it will be the best thing you could do for yourself!......find my name Smasher O'Brannan and type a message I'll help you with anything you have questions on. Oh yea, one more thing if you get an edelbrock performer (I recommend performer rpm) its aluminum not cast iron and its super light.....It'll knock at least 15-20 pounds off that stock junker intake you have now. Edelebrock carbs are the cheapest around and work good for the street buy a new one.....750!!
This discussion has been closed.