Hudson Heaters

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Merry Christmas to all, Need your knowledge, on step downs when were the heater controls put on the dash as opposed to the under dash units and was it different on each model. happy new year, jeff

Comments

• Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Different on different model years. Starting with the '51 model year the heater slide control was relocated from undet the heater blower unit itself to a slider on the dash "Hudson Weather control" At least for the PAcemaker model I know this to be the cars.
  • otto54 wrote:
    Merry Christmas to all, Need your knowledge, on step downs when were the heater controls put on the dash as opposed to the under dash units and was it different on each model. happy new year, jeff

All 1948-9 models had the Ranco heater control located on the bottom of the heater/blower box. The 1950 models had the Ranco heater control on the sub dash just to the right of the steering wheel just below the ignition switch. The 1950 Pacemakers had the control as the 48-9 units did,under the heater/blower box. In 1951 All controls were placed on the sub dash to the left of the steering wheel. There were however a number of 1951 Pacemakers that still had the heater control on the blower box but later production moved them to the dash. After 1951 all models from then on had controls on the dash.Most Hudsons had heaters and controls installed at the factory however since this was still an optional piece of equipment, there were some cars that came with no heaters or controls and a few of those cars still exist. Special delete plates were used on the sub dashes where normally the slide lever control would have been located. Hope this helps Jeff.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have an original Hudson under seat heater in a battered Hudson box. I bet someone in a cold climate could use it.I know there are no hoses with it, but the core with blower is. Don't recall if there are any other parts or instructions with it. Don't know if it was for stepdowns or earlier models. PM me if you are interested in not freezing.. SuperDave, in Sunny florida.
  • Clutchguy
    Clutchguy Senior Contributor
    In High School-mid 70's- wintertime,everyone would make the dash to my 49'C8 sd. I could start it up and have heat in less than 1 minute!! Because of its design,it would make heat like no other and fit about 7 people. I would drive around the school parking and drop everybody off at their much newer-MODERN cars. LOL:D:cool:
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Clutch guy wrote:
    In High School-mid 70's- wintertime,everyone would make the dash to my 49'C8 sd. I could start it up and have heat in less than 1 minute!! Because of its design,it would make heat like no other and fit about 7 people. I would drive around the school parking and drop everybody off at their much newer-MODERN cars. LOL:D:cool:

That's awsome! I generally thought of '70's cars making pretty decent heat themselves off of those V8's. ..... I'd drive my Hudson in the winter if they weren't using salt. ..... and if I do I'd make use of some newer car washes have setups that spray off the undercarriage.
  • SuperDave
    Just for the heck of it. I took five pictures of the underseat heater and the instructions. If anyone is interested in what it looks like, send me your email address and I'll forward them to you. maybe someone will post them here. I won't try.. By the way, it is a 301990 PN which is for all stepdown models.

Meryy Christmas everyone!
  • SuperDave
    I'll try to post pics..

uunderseatheater005.jpg

uunderseatheater001.jpg

uunderseatheater002.jpg

uunderseatheater003.jpg

uunderseatheater004.jpg
  • SuperDave
    It Worked!
  • Clutchguy
    Clutchguy Senior Contributor
    I wonder if the limo that Ed Souers has,has this installed in it?. I have seen more than one of these and also wonder if the OE type heater worked good enough that they didn't need this??.
  • SuperDave
    I have spent many winters in New Hampshire, Maine, Mass..Some in VW ! I have never used a Hudson in really cold weather since I have lived in Florida since 1965. All my Hudsons had very adaquate heat down here! I would guess that Any suppliment would be welcome up north.After looking at the instructions and template, it appears that the heater pulls air from under the seat, heats it and blows it out throught the seat riser in front of the seat. So it would heat the passenger side floor. The front seat passenger would be happy. Perhaps It could be adapted to work under the rear seat and supliment that area?
  • SuperDave wrote:
    I have spent many winters in New Hampshire, Maine, Mass..Some in VW ! I have never used a Hudson in really cold weather since I have lived in Florida since 1965. All my Hudsons had very adaquate heat down here! I would guess that Any suppliment would be welcome up north.After looking at the instructions and template, it appears that the heater pulls air from under the seat, heats it and blows it out throught the seat riser in front of the seat. So it would heat the passenger side floor. The front seat passenger would be happy. Perhaps It could be adapted to work under the rear seat and supliment that area?

The template shows for the pass side. The heat goes to the back seat area. Turn the template over for the drivers side.
  • SuperDave
    Yep ! I'm one of those guys that looks at the instructions AFTERWARDS to see what i did wrong!
  • Richard E.
    Richard E. Senior Contributor
    The best thing about a heater in a Hudson in So CA is that you can use it for extra cooling in the summer when you are trying to get over the Grapevine without over heating! That's about the only time I use the one in my '50C6 sd. Otherwise it is always plenty warm in the front seat!!
This discussion has been closed.