How to fit front axle bump stops on 34/35 cars

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
Nothing in the mechanical procedure manual about this.
Please could somebody tell me how to do it ?

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Front bump stops are held in place by the U bolts. Jack the car under the axle, remove the U bolts - tackling some of the nuts can be a challenge - put bump stop in place. I'd suggest undoing and re-doing one side at a time.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thank you very much, Bob.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Wire brush exposed thread, lubricate and use a torque gun and socket. Do one nut at a time. May need long reach sockets for the last nut.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I won't upset the location of the axle by removing the u-bolts, will I ?
  • Old Fogey UK

These are the bump stops the ROC sent me.

Do they look right ?

I cant see what holds them under the u-bolts.

• bob ward
    edited August 2020
    You only have part of the story there. The originals were held in place by a sheet metal pressing that went over the square base and extended out under the U-bolts. You can sort of make out the pressing in the photo of a dead front bump stop. If you Sikaflex those rubbers to a piece of heavy gauge sheet metal you will be able to get them mounted. 

So long as you lift and support the car by the front axle you won't disturb its location to the spring when you undo the U-bolts.

• Old Fogey UK
    As a reasonably competent lawyer but an inadequately skilled mechanic, on reflection I think I'll leave this job to the 83 year old founder of my local restoration workshop who sorted out my steering a couple of weeks ago.
    He hasn't worked on prewar American cars since the 1950s, so he says doing my car is a trip down memory lane for him !
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    What is the “ROC” mentioned above as a source for these stops?

regards, Tom
  • bob ward
    Railton Owners Club
  • Old Fogey UK
    The Railton Owners Club operates a very good parts scheme for its members.
  • I always run a die from a tap-die set up and down the threads to clean them before trying to loosen the nuts. This way you don’t crank the nuts down over the built up rust and crud. Lots of penetrating oil, and heat may be needed.
  • I'd like to find one of these butees because there's one missing on my survivor
  • Old Fogey UK
    JACK356 said:
    I'd like to find one of these butees because there's one missing on my survivor
    I was told that Ford Cortina bump stops will work but I am not sure. Therefore I bought my Bump Stops from the Railton Owners Club.
  • OK  :)
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    ROC no longer stocks these items.

regards, Tom
  • Try wildrick rubber?
  • Old Fogey UK
    I think that there are a number of modern substitutes of similar size and shape that will do the job.
    You just need a helpful parts store to help identify them.
  • bob ward
    What version of Cortina?
  • Old Fogey UK
    I think it was Mk1 or Mk2 but can't remember which, sorry.
  • Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:
    What version of Cortina?
    Shall I post the dimensions of my new ones (I haven't put them on the car yet) on the Forum to help people identify suitable alternatives ?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Dimensions of bump stop in inches -
    Base 1.56 x 1.93 x 0.45
    Cylindrical buffer 1.43 high, 1.38 diameter