Master cylinder rebuilding kit

BigSkyBigSky Posts: 547Senior Contributor
Can anyone share with me the part number at NAPA for a master cylinder rebuilding kit on my 1937 Hudson?

Comments

• BigSkyBigSky Posts: 547Senior Contributor
    Found these numbers:

Dorman- TM3502

NAPA- UP2

O’Reilly’s- MCK3502
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,958Senior Contributor
    You can buy a new master cylinder cheaply, and would be a better idea than honing an old pitted cylinder.  Cost around $75-80  

Outlet port on new MC is 1/2"-20, will need brass female inverted flare adapter for the 5/16" line to the brass 4 way fitting on the frame.
    1/2' ID copper sealing ring between brass adapter and MC is needed also.

Can one use the fittings off of the old master cylinder?

edited May 6
    Oh, that's right the the 4 way fitting came out in 1938. Yes, you can use the original brass Y and the banjo bolt with female 1/4' inverted flare in the hex head, that passes through it, but use 2 new copper sealing washers. I Have the washers. Be aware the '37 -47 brake lines are 1/4", the new brass Y fitting I sell is for 3/16" lines, as Hudson went to the modern 3/16" lines in 1948 for the Stepdowns. 
    edited May 6
    There is a new brass Y outlet with 1/4" female inverted flare outlets available if one should be needed. The special banjo bolt used is Hudson specific, so try not to damage it. 

• Ol racerOl racer Posts: 2,514Senior Contributor
    I Echo the comments to Buy a NEW  Master Cyl, Don't hone that old one... Therev on Ebay often too....
  • barrysweet52barrysweet52 Posts: 510Expert Adviser
    Consider insulating the brake line near the exhaust pipe
    I did buy a new master cylinder, NAPA M4360 a little while ago.  I’ve yet to take the original master cylinder apart to even know the condition.  I still find it cool as all heck seeing “LOCKHEED” stamped on it & wheel cylinders.... definitely space age technology in 37!

Ken, What is the banjo bolt for or where is it located?  If I need the “Y” block, etc, what do you ask for them?

Thanks everyone!
  • RichardDRichardD Posts: 687Member
    Here is photo of fitting and banjo( from Ken)