Starter Rebuilding?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Go figure... when I take the band off my 37’s starter & look at my brushes, it looks like they are worn.  Not ever having looked at the brushes I can’t be sure but if they are worn, is this something I could do myself?  Or, are there too many other things to possibly also go wrong & also need replacing?   The starter was working just fine but with the engine compartment restoration I am doing it lead me to open this can of worms, just like the cooling system a week ago.  

I have looked on-line for instructions or a video on rebuilding these & the closest I’ve come is a tractor video & an Auburn club guy who ready doesn’t want to be bothered helping me with my lowly Hudson.   If this is something I could reasonably do myself, where do I get parts?  Anyone have part numbers for the various items I may need?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    These starters are very much the same from 30-50s.  The hudson maintenance manual offers good instruction on how to test and repair.  Some tests require knowledge of electrical testing processes.  Other mechanical refurbishment is dependent on tools you may not have.  In the overall scheme of things you are best served to have it refurbished at a shop familiar with vintage starter overhaul.  Shops in your home area may have been used by others who can recommend where they found help.  Good luck
  • KustomKreeps
    KustomKreeps Member
    edited August 2018
    im not that familuar with Hudson starters and have not really looked through the manuls either.
    But when my Buick I8 one crapped out I looked in to options.
    1. Get rebuild kit and do it my self.
    2. Take it to a shop to get done.
    3. Get a second hand one.
    4. get a reconditioned one.
    4. get a modern mini torque update.

Now I had feked about on another old British starter once and didnt want to repeat the process and the idea of a second hand one didnt light me up. For a reconditioned one it worked out well price wise but I would need to send a core all the way around the world so that got ruled out.
    Wanting to keep it kinda stock I decided to take it into an auto electrician to get done. Few days latter they called saying it was stripped down and cleaned up but cant find the replacement parts.... So i had to go order the rebuild kit. They got it all together and I put it back on in the Buick. Turned key key and got gear grinding. Tried adjusting everything and anything, checking lashings and gears etc, shims, and anything else I could think of. Then an old timer said it was to clean so I put oil on it. Away it went fine - until I turned it off and the hot oil no longer jamed it up.
    Auto sparky said it was fixed and wouldn't help.

So in the end I got a high torque mini starter. It is brilliant. No idea why I ever wanted the huge heavy old thing. Smaller, lighter, stronger, draws less power and easy to service should I ever need to. Cost less that what I paid for the sparky and rebuild kit. Cheaper than a reconditioned one as well.

That wall of text that is totally unrelated to Hudsons and not offering any advice really sorry. read what ever you want from my mistakes and lessons.
    best of luck.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    FYI. Glenn Cheaney the master rebuilder at Ace died in 2016. When I talked to the owner shortly after Glenn's death, he told me that they no longer do work on antique starters, generators, etc. He did refer me to someone in the Northeast that works on antique starters, etc. Call Ace in Wichita and see who they recommend.

John Forkner
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Fortunately we have a starter & generator rebuilder 30 minutes drive away so if I need to take it there Monday, I will be able to.  They are known for being good & fair priced.  Unlike one rebuilder I called last Friday who wanted $500 to $1,000 to rebuild & restore the starter.  He must have had my Hudson confused with a Duesenberg!  

However, I’m the kinda guy who would rather do it myself, even if it takes 10 times as long.  That’s just me, I pride myself of being as self sufficient, a “jack of all trades” as possible.  

I finally found this old detailed resource:  
    https://www.thecj2apage.com/storage/1950_Autolite_Service_Manual/Starting_circuit.pdf
    & this dismantling & reassembly guide:
    http://wjowsa.com/1948-willys-starter-bendix-repair-and-replacement/

As an example of learning to do things myself, this weekend I began teaching myself to weld.  After a short bit of success, I grabbed one of my daughters & had her give it a go.  Honestly, I’m proud to say she’s better than me at it already.  

It was a great memory making time with her.  Pictures are of her & her welding with flux-core.