Petronix v. Crane (now FAST) ignition systems

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I have had two Petronix ignitions to go out on me.  The first time the green tape came loose from the wheel and the second time I apparently blew up the Ignitor by switching the car on and off without cranking it while trying to improve the wiring system and checking the results of my work.  I've seen where several of you guys use the Crane IR 700 or 3000 series ignition systems and seem to be happy with them.  I've thought about going back to points, but I actually like the Petronix system better as the one I have on one of my vehicles has worked great for years.  If the Crane is better, then I'm willing to give it a try also.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    While I am no expert on pertronix ignitions; I discovered that the design used in this ignition is intolerant of voltage changes.  The use of 12 volt alternators without spike surpression will kill these devices.  There are multiple online comments about voltage changes causing these failures.  The crane units, new branding, have input voltage regulators as part of their electronics. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Old Farmer, which Crane ignition would you recommend for a 262 engine with a Twin H carburetor?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    IR 700 crane which is now a Fast unit
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I have a Crane XR-I unit in my 65 Chevy C20. Been very happy with it, I asked Crane Tech about using one of these on a Six cylinder (this GM unit would fit, maybe with a bit of modification - can't remember) they said it would work fine, but the rev limiter setting would be a little off.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/xr-i-points-replacement-ignition-for-gm-applicationshtml/
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

Pertonix are good  so ensure not another reason for failure.. However, I have several Crane Point Eliminator Kits now and been trouble free so far on Hudson 6. Early XR300 & XR700, Basically you throw away points & condenser then mount photo cell where points went and slide a slotted washer under the Rotor. Best to remove Distributer then Phase the Unit for correct rotation. Unlike Pertonix, Crane requires a small box on firewall or fender well

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Pertronix is junk. I’ve known several people that will never go that route again. My neighbor also has had nothing but trouble with his.  To tempermental for being something simple. And for being 2018.  I’m guessing the cons outweigh the pros.  
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I've used pertronix in several vehicles, only issue is using the proper coil and plug wires.
  • Also used pertronix many times.

Never had a problem but I have always made up my own plug wires at the time and replaced the coil.

Saying this I always keep the old points, condenser and coil stowed away in the trunk with all the kit needed to put it back in and set it should I have a melt down on a trip.

All the times I have seen them go bad is due to people not following the instructions or leaving the ignition on.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Now my other Pertronix went out on the 48.  The XR 700 Fast (formerly Crane) unit came in today.  The instructions say that I need to use ballast resistance for the XR 700 model.  Instead of using a ballast resistor on the firewall, I've always used coils that didn't require an external ballast resistor, which included my Pertronix coils.  Since I just purchased a new Pertronix coil before I decided to go the Crane route, I'm wondering if I can use the Pertronix coil with the Crane setup.  
  • Ol racer
    Ive used other Coils such as MSD Blaster etc...
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Ol racer said:
    Ive used other Coils such as MSD Blaster etc...
    Did you use a ballast resister?  Or was it not necessary since you were converting to the electronic ignition?  
  • Ol racer
    edited August 2018
    Yes, I use a regular '60's Chevy Ballast resister