Re-keying a trunk lock tumbler for a ‘54 Hudson Hornet

I am in need of re-keying the trunk lock and the local locksmith couldn’t do it. Is there a way to get the tumbler out of the assembly easily?? I am guessing that the lock face cap has to be removed, but then finding a replacement face cap and a tool to bend it  for a tight fitment would be another issue for this type and year. Another alternative is to see if anyone would have a spare trunk lock assembly with a key they are willing to sell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited May 2018
    Could removing the glove compartment lock mechanism, which I believe uses the same key as the trunk, help you here? 
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Could removing the glove compartment lock mechanism, which I believe uses the same key as the trunk, help you here? 
    You are exactly correct providing the glove box lock and trunk lock have not been changed over the years via previous owners.   Worth a shot.
  • Thanks for the responses, but unfortunately, the car only has one key left (ignition) and the owner (grandfather) has recently passed and we cannot find any other keys for it. We had to remove the back seat to get to the trunk lock assembly to dismantle it.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    It might be time to talk to a different locksmith. I've recently had keys made for a lock with a non-removable barrel (mid 30s lockable fuel cap with long lost keys), the locksmith tells me he figured it all out through the hole where the key goes in. Cost me $30.
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Bobs right on that try a different locksmith 
  • All you need is the number from the glovebox lock. They should be able to make you a key. But that assumes no past interchange.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I take my locks to the locksmith and he makes me a key to fit. About $25. Takes him 10 minutes. Done it at least a dozen times. You need to try a different locksmith.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited May 2018

Check with Wildrick Restorations...  and also join the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club WWW.HETCLUB.ORG

http://www.wrphet.com   

• Just a follow up...Lance from this board, has taken good care of me. He was able to take the H#, that I provided, from the glove box lock assembly and cut a couple of keys for me a few weeks ago. Thanks to Lance and also thank you to those that gave responses. It sure is nice to find a forum that offers help and an abundance of it. I also joined the HET Club while I was at it. Thanks again!