Gas sending unit float.

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
Anyone know of a source for a brass float for a 49 Commodore?  The sending unit seems to work ok, but the float is full of gas. Thanks in advance.
Gene.

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I've repaired a few floats with JB weld. You can empty the float by warming it with hot water (or carefully with a heat gun) and watching for where the liquid dribbles out, it may take a few cycles.  A afternoon in the sun will make sure the float is as dry possible. Once you know where the hole is, clean that area really well with some emery and wipe down with acetone.  Mix up some JB (thinning a bit with a little acetone will help the next step). Get the float nice and hot with a heat gun. While it's still hot, spread the JB over the area with the hole(s).  As the float cools, a slight vacuum will form, pulling enough of the epoxy into the hole to ensure a good seal.

Plain solder works too, once the float is cleaned out. I've done it by torch (flux) and soldering iron (plain rosin core electrical). JB was a little less hassle...

Check your work by holding the float under a sinkful of hot water, it there' still a pinhole, you should see bubbles form.  Repeat till it's sealed.  YMMV
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Oh, I have a '52 sender unit. It' yours if you pay shipping from Colorado. The float has been repaired - with solder.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    In revisiting the sending unit, it's not working correctly, so I need to replace it. I know this has been discussed here before but I remember that one of the 50's Ford unites will work. Anyone know which ones? 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited March 2018
    I installed Paul Schuster's brand new sending unit on my '53 Super Wasp with good results.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

I just ordered one from Paul.  $95.00 which seemed reasonable to me.

Trevor NZ

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    The sending unit Paul sells comes with a straight arm.  You have to bend it to match the old one (it is to be hoped that the user of the new one has the old one on hand).
  • hudsonsplasher1
    I bought one from Paul. Hope to have the tank ready when it gets here. 
    Thanks everyone.