New member with a 52 Hudson intro

Hello,

My names Brent. I'm retired from the military and live in Montana. I just picked up a pretty beat up 52 Hudson 4 door for my son and I to fix up. This old jem had seen many years out in a field. I am curious if anyone can help me with a question. From my research, it appears a commodore can be a hornet if it came with the 308. Please educate me. On the interior, the glove box says hornet, it has hornet trim on the passenger side but commodore trim on the driver's side. It does have the 6 cylinder engine. The intake and exhaust manifold were in the trunk and I was told it turned over before the previous owner pulled the manifolds. I love the builds on this forum and from what I've read so far, everyone seems to be pretty helpful. I look forward to any insight those smarter than me are willing to provide.

Respectfully

Brent

Comments

• Well after more research, it looks like the engine isn't a hornet 308 as it doesn't have the rib on the block. Someone probably swapped out the trim over the years.

• bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser

Hornets and Commodores were built on the same platform and both shared a lot of the same trim. The motors were specific though. Hornets came with the 308. Commodore 6's had the 262, Commodore 8's had the eight cylinder.

Look at inside your passenger door on the pillar. There will be a VIN plate. If it's labeled 7B, it was originally a Hornet. There is also a number on the pass side top front of the block. If that number is the same as the number on the pillar it still has the same block. I can't quite tell from your engine picture if it's the 308 or smaller engine. The 308 has a rib that runs across the bottom above the oil pan. The 232 and 262 engines don't have that rib.

Good luck with your project Brent. Looks like it should keep you busy for a while. Also consider joining the National Hudson club if you haven't already.

• atc
    atc Member

Wasn't the "500" cylinder head for the 232 Pacemaker engines? Weren't they narrow block in 1950? That number on the head has me confused but I'm most familiar with Hornets.

Cool project! My dad and I got started on Hudsons with a father son project. Don't lose interest!

• superwasp
    superwasp Member
    edited February 23

I was going to say that looks like a narrow block 262. Is the block numbers matching to the VIN? Thats on the block on the pass side right above where the 1st exhaust runner meets the block.

You have some interesting things going on under the hood.

Two oil filters?

I don't think I've ever seen a similar canister plumbed into the waterjacket before. Where do the hoses run to?

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser

In the engine photo - interesting two oil filters and a mystery red canister in lower RH area of photo.

• I can't say that the oil filter is plummed. It may have just been set there. Thanks for the heads up on the vin code 7B. I looked for the rib and didn't see it but it's also coated in about an inch of oil/dirt. It looks like someone started tearing apart the motor and just set the parts wherever they could. When my son gets home from school, I think we're going to try and clean it up and figure out what we have. Is there a market for non 308 engines? Thanks again for the help.

• Door vin says 6B. Not a Hornet but hopefully still going to be cool.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor

Looks like a wide block, temp sensor is in the back. Narrow block has the sensor in the front.

• atc
    atc Member

Definitely still cool, it is a Hudson after all :)

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser

Actually, a 52 Commodore 6 is way more rare than a Hornet. They didn't make very many.

• 50C8DAN
    edited February 24

Ah but a Commodore 8 is the rarest! Only 2 '52 C8 convertibles known to exist and one does not have its 8 any longer. C8 coupes and Hollywoods are also extremely rare beasts!

• Thank you all for the info. All of it helps. Any good books or manuals you all can recommend. My boy and I cleaned up the interior a bit tonight. Front floor boards are shot. The backs might be salvageable. Was able to remove the seats and clean up the parts laying around the engine bay. The oil filter is an additional oil filter. Both were plummed to the block. Talking with my boy, we're thinking about putting a modern engine in this bad boy. I hope it's not sac religious on here to resto mod. I'll keep adding pictures as we go.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 24

We welcome you and your son to the Hudson Open Forum! With any luck you can connect with a fellow Hudson owner in Montana who can offer you first-hand technical advice. Meanwhile, bring all your questions here, and we'll try to answer them.

Here's a webpage with info on joining the national Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club: https://production.hetclub.org/ One Club benefit is that you can read or download a lot of Hudson shop manuals and other technical information, off the Club's main website.

Once you're a member of the national, you can join your local chapter if you wish. You'd be in the Big Sky chapter. Lester Roth is the contact person; e-mail him at HETlroth1551@gmail.com -- remove the HET before sending.

• 50C8DAN

I believe floor pans may still be available from one of the club members?? Not sure I know in the past there was at least one supplier.

• superwasp
    superwasp Member
    edited February 24

BK, we aren't quite as 'judgy' as the HAMB when it comes to vintage hardware. Most of us know how expensive it is to rebuild a Hudson engine IF you can find a builder to even do it post 2020. Good luck doing it for under 5k.

In fact, some of us on here would love to see a build using the GM Vortec 4200 inline 6. Although, all swaps have inherent issues. Oil pan clearence in stepdowns is always a complication because of the centerpoint steering. That being said I've seen Ford 300s and Slant 6s in Hudsons without completely changing steering and suspension. BTW, inlines seem to get the most attention at car shows.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Welcome to the Hudson stepdown passion. I also retired from the US military, I have owned, driven, and maintained my Hudsons for over 60 years. Stepdowns were my everyday drivers for much of my military time. The questions you have and will have in the future are ALL VALID and answers can come from many sources. For the past 25 years, I have funded a FREE website answering those questions about HUDSON STEPDOWNS. You can connect to the website by clicking this URL. https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

If I can assist you; you are welcome to connect with me via this forum or directly. My email address and phone are available through my website. Getting a Hudson on the road with your son is a GREAT Bonding activity and I wish you well. Thank you for your service brother.

• MattB
    MattB Member

I bought mine from Classic to Current Fabrication. They're available.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser

Chris Spelic makes near perfect floor pans. He has an ad in the WTN and is in the roster