‘51 Pacemaker —Removal 3 Speed/OD Transmission

I have to pull the engine and tranny out of the car. First time I’m tackling a 3 speed +OD.

Looking for tips from those of you who have already done this job. Can the subject car’s engine and transmission be pulled out as a unit? Or should I disconnect the transmission and drop it first? 

I’m surprised how tight the top of transmission rides up against the floor board. Is it advisable (or is it a must) to remove the floor cover tunnel? 

Comments

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited May 2023
    I'm also missing transmission linkage bits and pieces. Problem is I don't know which ones. Below are some pics. Can someone with a 3 Speed OD post pictures of how the shifter shaft  (above the steering column) connects to the linkage assemblies?

What is the cable in the second picture? Where does it connect?

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Easiest to take out as a unit.  Just disconnect everything (wires, cables, pipes, rods), undo the engine mount bolts, drive shaft, clutch linkage etc.  Remove the radiator and side panels.   Angle the whole unit upwards at the front to make it easier to lift over the grille.  The cable you show connects to the bottom of the shift  shaft and the bell crank on the transmission lid.   There is a  rod that links to the  lever on the shift shaft and the transmission side lever. 
  • Also take out the floor section for better access to everything. 
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited June 2023
    Thanks for the tips and info thus far offered. I sure hope someone will take a few pictures of their shift linkages and post them here. “A picture is worth a thousand words!” I’ll post pictures as the engine and tranny are removed.
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Updates:

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    More:

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    This is my 46. The shift linkage is virtually identical. The cable connects as shown on the steering column.  There’s a control rod that connects on the steering column above where the cable terminates.  That’s the second picture.  Third picture shows the top of an OD trans.   The two bolt holes are where the anchor for the shift cable is secured   The shaft in front of it is where the cable connects to that shaft with a lever. The cable controls the 1st/Reverse and 2nd/3rd shift positions.  The rod connects to the gear selector shaft on the trans. Note that it has rubber bushings and washers to keep it tight   

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited June 2023
    Toddh,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the pics and for the explanation. I don’t think I have the control rod in the second picture above. But maybe it’s there amongst the other 3 to 4 rods/cables that connect to the tranny. I’ll sort through them tomorrow. I imagine one or more of these rods interconnect to the throttle linkage which went completely AWOL years ago….

I’d really appreciate you checking back on this thread in a day or two. I’ll post pics of these other rods/cables and maybe you could shed bright light on them too? 

I’m trying to resurrect and piece back together this “age-old parts car” and really appreciate all the help I can get. 

Thanks!
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    edited June 2023
    In the mechanical procedure manual and parts book, there’s a diagram showing the various parts and pieces and how they go together.  If you don’t have a mechanical procedure manual and parts book for your year, you can download one here: http://hudsonterraplane.com/tech/tech_index.htm

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited June 2023
    Toddh--I didn't get to the car this past weekend. Thanks for the diagram above.