Oil change in ‘49 Splasher 8

A ‘49 Commodore 8 in my area was auctioned last night. I did not win it but a nice young guy did. I gave him info on HET club and encouraged him to join. I did a bit of research on the the vehicle and found that the engine has 2 oil pans. When draining and changing the oil, what is the process? Are there 2 drain plugs and 2 oil fill holes? If so, where are they located? I already cautioned him about the 2 pans but would like to give him some direction on this part so he doesn’t create a problem.

Comments

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    The second pan is a dipper tray inside the regular oil pan. when doing a routine oil change, just drain the pan, as normal, and refill to appropriate level. The oil in the dipper tray, remains, and gets mixed with the new. 
      Many people, when they buy a Hudson that they do not know the history of, will drop the oil pan and dipper tray, to clean and inspect the lower end. If the dipper tray is full of sludge, the connecting rods can starve for oil and destroy a bearing in minutes.
  • Ricko
    Ricko Member
    Thanks I will pass it on!
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Strongly recommend dropping the pan as noted above.  Also check for any pinholes in the dipper pan When refilling, pour the oil through the fuel pump opening or through the valve area to ensure you get the upper oil pan full before starting. 
  • Ricko
    Ricko Member
    Thanks - will do
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Can’t emphasise too strongly the importance of having an oil filled dipper tray before start up.

Also check that the oil pump is sucking up oil from the oil pan and delivering oil, an air leak at the oil pan/ dipper tray/ block interface can be fatal. Take the plugs out, loosen an oil delivery pipe and crank the engine.
  • Do I assume correctly that the dipper system discussed here is the same system used on the 212 6 cyl motor.

Recently, I changed the oil on my 47 212. What emptied out of the pan drain was 2.5 quarts. When I refilled with fresh oil I started by putting in 2.5 quarts out of curiosity. Well adding just those 2.5 quarts
    brought the level right back to the full mark.

I then decided to run the motor to mix the new oil I just added to what remained in the dipper tray. this also darkened the oil to make it more visible on the dipstick.

I waited about an hour to be sure that the oil level had settled down and upon rechecking found the level to again be right on the dipstick full mark.

My manual says the oil capacity is 5.5 quarts, If that is the total amount I guess that would mean perhaps a quart in the dipper pan and the balance, 4.5 quarts in the pan.

Anyone have any ideas what I am missing here?
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Your oil pan likely is full of sludge.
    Dont run engine

Jack up front end as far as safety permits,
    Drain oil.  Any thing sort of amount supposed to be there means the rest is sludge.

I have had 2 to 3 inches of jello like sludge in several engines over the years.

Best wishes

• I dropped the pan on my 51 Commodore 8 and cleaned out the sludge. When I reinstalled the pan I used 4 long bolts 3 or 4 inches that let it hang low enough to use a long funnel to pour oil into the troughs before pushing the pan up and bolting it in place. You can pour 3 or 4 quarts in because once the troughs have enough oil in them the rest will just run into the pan. Then you can check the dip stick to top it off before starting it up.