DODGE HORNET!

StepUp
StepUp Member
edited April 2023 in Street Rods
Check out the Road and Track review which includes original Step Down ad.  Also spot a slanted "H" on the front grill.

Dodges first Plug in Hybrid - The 2023 Dodge Hornet SUV on RYNO Classifieds

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Going back 70 years for a sales leader tie in is a real stretch.

Even with a possible CARS tie in, which may mean royalties.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Nash bought Hudson AMC bought Nash Chrysler  bought AMC no royalties they own the name they reply for the pattern  name in 2020 but I could be wrong
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Could a shorter wheelbase Dodge Wasp be next?  
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    It would be pretty short, more like a bee!
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    I'll remind folks once again the Hornet and Wasp were named after US WWII warships and not flying menaces.
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    The AMC Hornet WAS named after a stinging insect....
  • railknight
    Wasn't there a billboard at one time in front of the Hudson Motor Car Co. headquarters on Jefferson Ave. in Detroit that said something like "Home of the Hornet's Nest."  I also recall on the billboard there being an image of a hornet's nest with a whole bunch of hornet "rockets" coming out of it.  I suppose this could be interpreted as a nod to the insect as well despite the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier origin for the name.  And yes, AMC indeed named their hornet after the stinging insect.   
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    I'm not surprised that the Advertising dept later on chose to adapt the stinging menace's name to emphasize the car's power and speed, but the USS Hornet and USS Wasp were the origins.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    We ad a hudson club should get involved/ put a spin on it to let people know about the club and keep it alive just my thoughts 
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited April 2023
    Here's a link to the Hornet's naval history:
    Also found in the link above:
    In 1775:
    The first Hornet is christened. Hornet would become one of the most distinguished names in American naval history with her performance in the Revolutionary War. The first two ships in the new Continental Navy were Hornet and Wasp.

So Hudsy Wudsy is correct! The first two ships in the new Continental Navy were the Hornet and the Wasp!! 
    I had no idea ---very interesting indeed.
  • railknight
    I had no idea either.  Nice to find this out about early U.S. Navy history.  Thanks for sharing!
  • Another useful link on subject:

Maybe I'm finally understanding why Hudson's iconic emblem depicts Sailing Ships and Castles. 
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Would the new dodge hornet be Doc Hudsons grandson 🤔
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Yeah, Hudson awarded itself the "castle" and "ship" simply to exude some pedigree. I guess, Why not? That's what advertising departments are for, right?
  • railknight
    According to the book, "Hudson, The Postwar Years," by Richard M. Langworth, on page six it says the following about the Hudson logo:  "The triangular Hudson logo, adopted in 1909, was later decorated with the coat of arms of Henry Hudson the explorer: ships, to "symbolize the adventuresome and pioneering spirit of bold and imaginative engineers," and fortresses, to represent "...the strength of the organization throughout the world.  Placed on the Hudson shield, this 'coat of arms' is a mark of distinction on cars of quality."