Wooden spoke wheel

If I  take the big nut off the wheel ,will the sokes come off the brake drum? I want to sand and stain the wooden spokes.

Comments

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    No, I don't think so.  They are held on with the small bolts around the hub.  I have not taken the drums off when I have refinished my wheels.  It is a pain bit I figured it was easier than getting things out of balance or trying to get the rusted nuts and bolts apart.

I just used lots of masking tape and did multiple steps.  I think they came out well but not concourse, but what is?

Jay 
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    The pic is a 1926 custom bodied Hudson

Jay 
  • Ok, that's kinda what I thought.  I didn't want something to come apart that I would regret. Thank you. By the way, that's  a very beautiful car. It looks very nice. I just got done painting mine. Pictures coming in a few days.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    DO NOT DISMANTLE THE SPOKES!!!!!!!!!    Did I emphasise that?   You will need a special jig to get them back together, and it is likely that the wheel will never be tight again, resulting in fretting and  failure.  
  • Ok, yes that's what it looked like to me. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions. Thank you for the insight.