Hudson Carb Heat Shield Installation Question

hi - i have only seen the metal carb heat shields installed with the shield angled part up - i never thought much about it - i recently saw an image of the twin h engine from steve mcqueen's '53 hornet sedan - the heat shield angled parts were in the down position - which way is correct? i see in mcqueen's engine, this mounting position may stop more heat, but with the angle up, it may prevent seeping fuel from running on the hot manifolds? any thoughts? thanks

Comments

• Per the manual, up and toward the block with equal gasketing on each side. I think someone reassembled Steve's carbs wrong on his sedan. 
  • Illustration
  • thanks for this - any thoughts as to why it's supposed to be "up"?
  • I've never found a description of operation.  I suspect they help in two ways. I believe they create a minor, physical barrier between the carb and the radiant heat of the block and also direct some amount of airflow from the fan across the carb. 
    I can, however, say they don't seem to work well upside down. Mine came to me with the deflectors upside down and had hot start issues that resolved once I flipped them back.
  • thanks - very helpful - i figured they may have something to do with air flow, especially as i notice more engineered details throughout my '53 hornet
  • When they are mounted upside down they trap the heat holding them under the carburetors rather than deflecting the heat away and carried off by the fan
  • Anyone know where I can get a pair of carb heat shields for a 1953 Hudson Hornet?

Thanks in advance, Vic
  • Wildrick Restoration has them. 
  • Thanks, cheyenne7271....
    I just ordered the carb heat shields and gaskets from Wildrick Restorations.
    Vic
  • Yw buddy