Transmission/OD rebuild question

I’m rebuilding a ‘46 transmission with OD.  In order to replace the rear-most main shaft bearing and seal, you need to reach into the OD case to remove the inner bearing retaining ring. The retaining ring obviously fits in a groove in the case so you need to pry it out sufficiently to work it out.  I’ve been trying with all manner of screwdrivers trying to get it out without success.  Is there a a specific tool or technique others have used to remove this retaining ring with minimal frustration??

thanks in advance!

todd h in Winchester, Va 

Comments

• Does the retainer have holes in the ends of it, so you can use snap ring pliers?
  • No.  If it did, it would be out already
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Hudson supplied a tool for that, a plate with a crank/screw that removed the ring from groove. I think it was a Kent-Moore piece? I had one , sold it recently.
    Might be able to find a Kent-Moore catalog for a photo.
    I think you could make shift something that looks like a door handle clip remover 
    to force the ring out of position?
  • I checked the Kent-Moore catalog and they don’t show anything to extract this type of snap ring.  The Mechanical Procedure manual also doesn’t mention it either
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

The ring in your transmission can be removed with these reverse duck bill pliers.   This particular pair was found on eBay.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    A better set like the type I own is shown in the attached link.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/snap-ring-pliers/flat-tip-retaining-ring-pliers/
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Screwdrivers work fine for me. 
  • Geoff said:
    Screwdrivers work fine for me. 
    Yep. I’m afraid that’s the only thing that will work on this particular snap ring.  It’s a ‘difficult to get at’ location at the bottom of the OD case. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Toddh said:
    I checked the Kent-Moore catalog and they don’t show anything to extract this type of snap ring.  The Mechanical Procedure manual also doesn’t mention it either
    Sorry , I misunderstood which retainer you spoke of. The other posts should help you.
    Screw driver to peel it away from groove , and another work it out.
    I was thinking of the earlier 40 overdrives.