2023 Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale AZ ---Event Poster

Nuff said!

Comments

• 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Needs some chrome and stainless to look like a Hudson, and look classy IMHO!
  • Exactly. This is one heck of "mean" Hudson. 
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Can it even be called a Hudson any more?
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Si=Yes! :expressionless:
  • I think they did a great job of cleaning up Hudson's design. The rocker panels look so much better than what the factory produced, the 53 grille is a big improvement over 51-2. The body lines, windows, and the silhouette of the car don't really need to be framed or highlighted to make them more noticeable. I don't think that anyone who is familiar with Hudsons would mistake it for anything else. Clean lines, simplified with a lack of gaudiness, by the elimination chrome. This appeals to me
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    It's the Body Shape that makes it Hudson. Sleek
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Correct. That's my point. The only thing Hudson is the body shell.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    It's really nice, cool car.  I'd prefer more chrome, less gold.  But, that's personal opinion.  What I wonder about is why some one would spend all the time, money and effort to build a car like that.  Then drive it for a year and sell it?  Maybe the joy is in the build, not the owning and driving?  I do see this over and over again.  I guy spends a bunch of money and time on a build only to sell the car shortly after it's completion.  None of my business, I guess.  Fantastic car.  I'll be curious to see what it sells for.
  • It's really nice, cool car.  I'd prefer more chrome, less gold.  But, that's personal opinion.  What I wonder about is why some one would spend all the time, money and effort to build a car like that.  Then drive it for a year and sell it?  Maybe the joy is in the build, not the owning and driving?  I do see this over and over again.  I guy spends a bunch of money and time on a build only to sell the car shortly after it's completion.  None of my business, I guess.  Fantastic car.  I'll be curious to see what it sells for.
    I agree on the chrome vs gold.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Just the fact that a Hudson is featured here is a big plug for Hudson in general.  I find it pretty amazing that a vehicle (the stepdowns) that has not been made in 68 years is still getting noticed.  It really is a credit to the design team that worked this up back in the mid-40s.  I think there certainly could have been improvements done to keep the basic body shape going and modernized as has been presented in various customs and illustrations, but still, it is an iconic design.  I put the step-down and the '53/'54 Studebaker coupe/HT right up there at the top of the most iconic automotive designs.  I also think the Kaiser Manhattan, especially the last design '54/;55 was also a trend-setting design as well.  And one that is not everyone's cup of tea - the Studebaker Avanti
  • It's really nice, cool car.  I'd prefer more chrome, less gold.  But, that's personal opinion.  What I wonder about is why some one would spend all the time, money and effort to build a car like that.  Then drive it for a year and sell it?  Maybe the joy is in the build, not the owning and driving?  I do see this over and over again.  I guy spends a bunch of money and time on a build only to sell the car shortly after it's completion.  None of my business, I guess.  Fantastic car.  I'll be curious to see what it sells for.
    , It's ego, they either build a car or have one built. Then go to several shows, when everybody stops going goo,goo about their car, they loose interest.  
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Part of the excitement of selling a car such as this is the Barrett-Jackson experience. There's nothing like it, with wealth from beyond your dreams, and the thrill of a NO RESERVE auction! An atmosphere like no other....
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited December 2022
    For those who want to see more pictures of this build:
    https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1951-HUDSON-WASP-CUSTOM-COUPE-260103

The quality of the build looks exceptional and therefore
    Id be very surprised if this doesn’t fetch well north of $150k. No matter what happens  builds such as this one help bolster interest in our iconic automobiles. 
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    A very nice showcase for the builder.Always stupid money for resto-mods at Barrett-Jackson, not real world by any means. How will a Viper V10 powered hot rod with a Hudson body shell increase interest in original flat head Hudsons? That Viper street rod  is not a Hudson at all, other than the body shell; the features that make a Hudson "Iconic" are mostly missing from this rod..no perimeter step down frame, twin H power,center point steering, lots of chrome and stainless, and the beautiful '50s interior.....So maybe others will want a Hudson coupe to use the  body shell to build a rod that won't ever see the road, and destroy a truly iconic Hudson in the process?....
  • I agree, I’ll take Hudson power all day long. I understand why some guys put V8s in but then you loose some of that Hudson character. 
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited December 2022
    There are many “shells” scattered throughout the US behind barns and in open fields. I’m always happy to see these cars on the road no matter how modified (or the condition….) IMHO a Hudson that is 100% original but hardly sees an open road is utterly useless. Unfortunately the lack of driving them is becoming ever more common. I doubt this one will be regularly driven either. Too much money invested in it. Drive them and everyone wins.
  • StepUp , if there was ever to become a Hudson bible …. Your words would be in Revelations
    Well said. 
  • Today's auction day! Lets see what she brings.
  • Not bad ---$230K!

• Holy Schnikey!!!
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    👍, Nice