Marvel Carburetor Rebuild

I have a couple Marvel Carburetors, and between them I think I can make one.  They both have broken parts on the outside, and I'm not sure yet what's inside them.  They are both 10-190 and one of them was mounted on my Straight 8.  The other came with a number of other things when I bought my 1930 Hudson Super 8.  
I've never taken apart an updraft carb before so I'm not sure what to expect or what to look for, as far as needing repairs or or what to be looking for. It seems that there are rebuild kits available.  The carburetor Shop LLC in Eldon Missouri is the only resource I've found so far.   I've rebuilt and fiddled with my Carter EV-1 carburetor many many times over the years and I know it like the back of my hand, so I have a rough idea as to the rebuilding procedure.  I've sent along a few pictures and it seems that the number on the side of the float bowl can dictate which kit I purchase, according to the Carburetor Shop LLC.  I've labeled that number with white tape on both carbs.  One carb has a broken casting at the air horn, and the other has a broken piece off of the throttle valve. 
One is missing linkage parts that the other one has so hopefully there are no parts missing inside.
If anyone has any insight, experience, or suggestions, I'm all ears.  Cheers.   

Comments

• What are the numbers on the very bottom of the carb ? Are they the same for both carbs ? 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Teh flapper valve with the broken bit off it will not work as it will allow too much air past the jet, and you will not get it to idle..  The flapper must be a good fit in the throat, and will probably need filing off at the bottom wheer it limits against the venturi block. 
  • What are the numbers on the very bottom of the carb ? Are they the same for both carbs ? 
    What are the numbers on the very bottom of the carb ? Are they the same for both carbs ? 
    Yes the numbers are both the same.  10-783
  • Are you certain that the 8 in 10-783 is intact an 8? 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    The  Air Valve is to have 5 thousand's clearence to idle block.
    ///////
    The Air Valve has a short sholder 90 degrees from plan of large blade of Air Valve.  
    ////
    The idle block ( half moon shape ) is often expanded on the pointed ends.
    ///////
    I use fine file and emery paper to flatten the face which faces the short sholder of Air Valve. 
    //////// 
    I would not file Air Valve, easier to staighten idle block face, and minimize work
    //////
    Hope this helps.

PS. do not stretch Air Valve spring under large brass knob.  carefully measure length.
    As I recall it is to be 1 1/2 inch from flat end to end.

The spring is the calibration for the carb.
  • https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Marvel_Casting_Numbers.htm

This is a link to the marvel carb uses. 
    10-783 isn’t listed. List might be incomplete