Replacement flywheel ring gear

Anyone know of a supplier for a replace starter ring gear to fit a 52 308?

Dave

Comments

• Hydramatic or 3 speed?
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    edited October 2022
    If it isn’t broken I believe you can rotate the ring gear to a new position on the flywheel.

regards, Tom
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    3 speed
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    I've heard of guys simply taking the ring gear off, turning it around (so that the worn part is no longer the mating edge) and remounting it. That is just general knowledge on my part, and not something that I know to be specific to Hudsons. I don't know why they would be any different, though.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    James P. said:
    I've heard of guys simply taking the ring gear off, turning it around (so that the worn part is no longer the mating edge) and remounting it. That is just general knowledge on my part, and not something that I know to be specific to Hudsons. I don't know why they would be any different, though.
    I'm pretty sure that this is not possible with a Hudson ring gear.  The flywheel has a lip that only allows the ring gear to be installed one way.  
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    JasonNC said:
    James P. said:
    I'm pretty sure that this is not possible with a Hudson ring gear.  The flywheel has a lip that only allows the ring gear to be installed one way.  
    Thank you for that. I'll try to remember.
  • JasonNC said:
    James P. said:
    I have repositioned ring gears on Hudson flywheels. You rotate the ring rear on the flywheel, not turn it around. If you can get a new one, I would replace it. It is not any less work to rotate it. Jason at Vintage Coach sells new ones. (909)-823-9168.
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Thanks guys, all good advice.
    I will get in touch with Jason, if that doesn’t work out I can give this one a 1/2 turn

Dave Eddie 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have built up the teeth with arc welding and re-ground with a disc grinder on my Essex.  Haven't dared to try and remove the  ring gear.   Modern stainless electrodes are wonderful things. 
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Dave, if you do not source a new one, rotate it 1/3 of a turn. 
    Regards, Tom
  • Just a question
    1/3 of a turn =120 degrees
    In a 6 Cyl the engine will stop on a compression stroke which = every 60 degrees.
    Would it be better to turn the ring gear 30  degrees in between compresion positions? 
  • The flywheel stops in one of three positions, approximately 120 degrees apart. Since 1-6 move together, 5-2 move together, and 3-4 move together, that's only three stopping points. You want to move the ring gear 60 degrees from it's present location.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Thanks 54 coupe. Regards, Tom