Swarf on drain plug

WABOOM
WABOOM Member
edited October 2022 in The Flathead Forum
Hey guys. I changed my oil today and there is swarf on the drain plug again plug like there was last fall. The magnet is 3/16 by 7/16 long for reference. I have been using 15W40 diesel oil.  I just wanted to run it by the HET brain trust to see what you guys thought. Hopefully my cam is not self destructing. Would you be worried?

Comments

• Thank you 
  • 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    In my lifetime experience of Hudsoning I would say that is about normal.  Perhaps you could drop the pan and do a clean out if this is a splasher.   Please change from Diesel oil which now has NO Zinc in it to a good modern motor oil. It's past time to use diesel and the additive package is not suitable to gas engines. 
  • Is this an original or rebuilt engine?
  • Val
    Val Member
    37 CTS said:
    In my lifetime experience of Hudsoning I would say that is about normal.  Perhaps you could drop the pan and do a clean out if this is a splasher.   Please change from Diesel oil which now has NO Zinc in it to a good modern motor oil. It's past time to use diesel and the additive package is not suitable to gas engines. 
    37, Shell Oil told me that their Rotella 15W40 Diesel oil does have zinc. Thats what I use but I would be intrested what you use or suggest of a modern oil? 
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    10w30
  • Castro makes a 10w30 that is for older cars and has the zinc. If you can’t find that just use 10w30 of your choice w a zinc additive that you get at the parts stores. Otherwise there isn’t anything wrong w running 15w40 diesel rated oil. This is coming from a diesel mechanic and motor head. 
  • Thank you. 
  • superwasp said:
    Is this an original or rebuilt engine?
    This motor was freshened up in '94. 
  • Also, the oil I use is the "Off highway" Heavy Duty Diesel oil, not the new "Low Emissions" oil. 
  • WABOOM said:
    superwasp said:
    Is this an original or rebuilt engine?
    This motor was freshened up in '94. 
    Hard to tell what was in that pan when you bought it. I think those filings are a bit inconclusive without knowing you started with a clean pan. If you're concerned, drop the pan and clean it out.