Muffler for 1934 Terraplane

Can anyone tell me where I can get a muffler for my Terraplane approximately 1 1/4" pipe

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    1-1/4 is far to small, and will choke up the  flow. You need 1-3/4 minimum, preferable 1-7/8"
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    The existing tail pipe is 1 1/2" OD. Could this be my acceleration problem?
  • If you need a small round muffler, you can get a tractor muffler with the correct size inlet and outlet and cut it to the right length, that is what I did.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Are you doing a restoration, or do you just want to put any muffler that fits on there?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If your muffler is choked, and a small exhaust pipe, it could very well be your problem.  I would go for at least 1-7/8" pipe right through, and corresponding  see-through muffler.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A 35 H8 has a 2" exhaust at the manifold, based on that a 212 needs a 1 7/8"pipe. 
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    My ‘36 Terraplane had a new exhaust system with a 2” pipe to match the manifold outlet and a straight through bullet style muffler. It sounds just great, definitely not very noisy at all and runs great. The sound out the tailpipe is very nice indeed.
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    I took the old muffler off and see that there is a baffle inside so it is quite restricted and I think that may be choking it going down the road. ordered a straight thru muffler and will try it out. Will post later. Could be causing overheating too
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I bought the muffler for my 34 Terraplane at Waldron Exhaust.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I had an exhaust system put on a 35 H8 manifold to tail, there was no old system in place, nothing to copy.
    The car was put on the hoist at the exhaust shop, myself and the shop owner stood underneath. I showed him where the mounting points were and where the muffler went, told him I wanted 2" pipe and left them with it. Easy.