Tail light problem

54Hollywood
54Hollywood Senior Contributor
Hi everyone.  Have a tail light issue that is driving me a little more crazy than usual.  Left rear tail light bulb went out.  Replaced it with the correct bulb but now I only get either the regular tail light or I get the turn signal/brake light.  Not both.  Pulled the socket out and checked it with a trouble light and I'm getting good current to both contacts; tail light and brake/turn signal light.  But with the bulb in, I only get one or the other and they only light up the same filament in the bulb.  I'm pretty sure it's a grounding issue but I don't know where to start.  Everything looks good but...  Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Tim in WI

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Definitely a grounding issue.  Clean the area where the mounting clips into the frame. 
  • 54Hollywood
    Thanks Geoff.  I'll work on it.
  • 54Hollywood
    Right on the money Geoff.  I had cleaned the contact areas of the housing but I guess not good enough.  Worked on that again and now the lights work great.  Thanks again mate.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What happens with no ground, the only circuit is through both sides, hence all filaments glowing slightly.   Tricky to understand!
  • 54Hollywood
    Or in my case, only one filament worked and it was the same filament for either the turn signal/brake light or the running light.  Tricky indeed!  Thanks again.