34 Terraplane top speed

I am in the process of restoring a 34 Terraplane. The 212 engine runs fine, new carb, new fuel pump, new clutch installed, 17" tires and top end speed is 35MPH. Is this all I should expect with the stock 4:11 rear. Tranny is 3 speed w/o OD. If I were to change the rear what would be a good ratio for this stock engine? 

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    With 17 " wheels I would think 65 mph should be no problem.
    What happens at 35 mph that you can't go faster?
    I had a 37 Terraplane with a 212 and 4/11 gears with 16 " tires and I would cruise at 60-65 mph
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Check your throttle linkage.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I drive my ‘34 Terraplane at 50 to 60 MPH. It has 17” wheels and 4.11 rear.   Once I put the 3.50 rear in it, I’ll be able to keep up with todays highway traffic
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Are 3.50 gears still available? I thought of doing  that gear change. Or perhaps adding a Hudson O/D.
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    where could I find the 3.50 rear end?
  • Gears are not available however a small group of members have approached a business who can copy a set we have. This will proceed later this year. We have a coordinator updating us quite regularly as to hopefully when it can be scheduled as the business is very busy with other projects. I'm sure this forum will have another announcement when the process is about to start requesting if you want to purchase a set. As I'm not organising it mealy just a person on the list willing to buy a set..I can't speak for the others on the list. Hopefully the organising group will see you want a set and will email you. I'm currently don't know the price per set yet as it will change the more sets are made. At the moment it's $1000 plus for our group. Cheers ken 
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Is 35mph by speedo or GPS? Is the speedo accurate? 
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    I agree that 34 Terraplane can do 65 MPH. will cruise at over 50, but I find it most comfortable around 45 MPH.  I had 17" wheels (anybody need a set with wide whites?), but changed over to 16" old-look radials (16" were optional on 34 Terraplane K).  I also have the gear conversion; it is helpful in dropping the RPM for higher speeds so makes things a little quieter for cruising.  You will lose some of the "pull" at low RPM; instead of being able to turn a corner at an intersection and just give it the gas and bring it back up to speed in 3rd, I now need to downshift.
    34T 3-speed transmission with overdrive?  Is that something that was available?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yikes - 65 m.p.h. with cable brakes!
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    My cable brakes are as good as the juice brakes on my later Hudsons. If they have the correct brake lining material, are correctly installed and adjusted and the cables and conduits are adjusted and lubed correctly they work superb. 
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Geoff; 65 MPH in the 34T K only for brief periods on straight roads with no traffic.
    What about the "34T 3-speed transmission with overdrive"?  If it exists, Maybe I should look for one.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There is no such animal!   The overdrive came out first in 1940, as fitted to the transmission as in your '34, and these are like rocking-horse dung to find, and even if you do, it is not easy to fit because of the narrow chassis.  Changing the rear end would be the easier option, but as stated, you will lose some performance low down.  However, anything is possible with enough money and expertise.  I have seen a very professional looking conversion to a '37 transmission which had been fitted with a Laycock overdrive, and another '37 which has a a Toyota five speed transmission (5th gear is 20% o/d) 
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    My Terraplane 8 pulls great . Just need lower rpms at higher speeds. It has 4/19 rear gears. Great for hills though!
  • dhutzn said:
    where could I find the 3.50 rear end?
    If you would like to be added to the project update list which Ken mentioned, please provide me with your email address by Private Message.   Happy 4th!!
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I have a set of the Ivan Zaremba 3.5 gears in a 35 and I sometimes get to drive a 36 with the standard 4.1 gears. At like speeds, especially highway speeds, the 35 engine is noticeably and understandably quieter than the 36, much more pleasant to drive.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited July 2022
    My 37 coupe with the original 212ci engine has a ford rear end with 3.5 gears.  I’ve had it up to 91mph & have a calculated top speed of 98mph.

https://youtu.be/m8fWD3TsAaw
  • bob ward
    Impressive. How was the handling? Rock solid, a bit flakey, somewhere in between? Not that I intend to emulate your feat, just curious.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    I am in agreement with Geoff regarding high speeds in a car with 4 wheel drum brakes mixing with traffic that has light cars with 4 wheel ABS disc brakes driving like every car on the road is like them, weaving in and out and hitting the brakes after cutting in front of you.

Open road, knock yourself out. In traffic a drum brake car is a hazard…. And that is when the mechanical brakes are rigged properly!

regards, Tom Peterson
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Whatever, Tom. Your opinion is yours. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Bob, the handling was rock solid!  Sometimes it’s good to live in the middle of nowhere & that was definitely one of those times!!!
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    I agree with Todd.
    I have mechanical brakes on my '35 Hudson 8 Rdr and '34 Terraplane and when adjusted correctly with the correct linings, stopping in a hurry is not a problem!
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Certainly not a problem if you are the only car on the road. Newer cars stop in a fraction of the distance of a well set up T-plane and that is on dry, clear pavement with a planned stop.  The numbers don’t lie. In a traffic mix, normal contamination on the pavement, wet and the differences in stopping capability are staggering. Throw in a panic stop with brakes that will lock up the differences are even greater. 

Be safe. Drive your cars.

regards, Tom
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Speaking of brakes....winning hillclimbs are great fun in my '33 Terraplane 8. It's coming down that worries me...
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    The brakes on my '36 Terraplane are very good, this is the first year hydraulics. No problem driving in modern traffic, although the cars do tend to stay out of my way such is the looming bulk of the car.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    5433HET said:
    Speaking of brakes....winning hillclimbs are great fun in my '33 Terraplane 8. It's coming down that worries me...

Yes, my T8's brakes weren't that strong and I used second gear for descending long, steep, winding hills where brake fade was guaranteed. They seemed to pull inconsistently too no matter how they were adjusted. You wouldn't want to do a full-on panic stop from 60mph!

• dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    We have adjusted throttle linkage to make sure the throat is all the way open when the accelerator is floored. We have a new Daytona Carb replacing the W-1. Top end is still 35mph at 1900RPM. Also new fuel pump! How many RPMS should I be getting at top speed? Suggestions? Thanks to all!!
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    What should a 212 compression test be? How would a inoperable heat riser affect engine performance?
  • Your engine should be able to turn 4000 rpm with ease, if it is in good condition. I wouldn't do it for an extended period of tine, though.
  • bob ward
    The mid 30s cars with a 4.11 rear end are doing 3200RPM or so at 60MPH, so 1900 RPM at 35 is right. Does your engine rev well past 1900 RPM when you test it in the garage?

Compression test should be around 80psi, the main thing to look for is consistency in the readings. 

Is your inop heat riser stuck on hot or cold?
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    My mechanic blocked the heat riser with a plate near the carb. Yes the engine revs much higher in the garage than it does in 3rd floored and going barely 35mph. The reason he plugged the heat riser initially was that it wouldn't idle.