308 Head experience?

Your experience with 232 head on 308 ?
  Seems the factory used them on 7X engine,so best performance I assume.I have a good H145 aluminum head as well,would that flow better perhaps ?Chuck Vorse told me he is running aluminum on all his Hornets,so that's a good endorsement for aluminum. 
 Thanks for ur comments...

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Looks like we will make a run of the new aluminum heads this fall if you are interested in one of those.  Better flow and better overall design.

• Martin
    Martin Member
    Wow,looks great...I think u posted a price,I don't recall..?
  • 50C8DAN
    $1,250 - as of Jan. Expect up a slight bit but in the same ballpark.
  • In my own experience, with 7x intake valves and a pretty big block relief, a 232 head was fine with 91 octane pump gas for about 6-8 months. Once there was come carbon buildup in the combustion chambers, it started to ping, and I had to back off the timing a little bit. I ended up going with a 262 head for this street car.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    232 head on a modified 308 will detonate (ping) regardless of octane unless the head has the sharp eyebrows removed. Rudy Bennet, an older long drag racer has pictures of stock 232 compared with the factory 7x 232. Rudy is getting up there but would still be the resource on that....
  • Martin
    Martin Member
    I plan on running E85...I appreciate the comments...how to reach Rudy. ? Thanks ! !
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited June 2022
    Rudy Bennet and Chuck Fellows designed the new aluminum head, so all the 232 head info was considered. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Attached is the Information with pictures in PDF format concerning the 7X -232 head compared to the stock 7X head.  You can open the document by clicking on it... and also download it if you desire.  Rudy Bennett is the origin of this information and it is posted on my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/ in the engine section... scan the page for a wealth of other information.   Ken Cates
  • super651
    super651 Senior Contributor
    Ken, Thanks so much for printing the 232 head info.     I lost a lot of info last year and
     you had it .   Pal   Rudy
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Rudy, Its really great to see that you're still overseeing the Forum and I'm glad that Ken saved your 7x research for others .....
  • 50C8DAN
    All of Rudy's experience has gone into the new Twin Vortex head and it takes it about as far as the flathead design will allow!  So a big thanks to Rudy from all the Hudson Hi Po folks.