Steering wheel puller J-739-10

Does anyone have a photo or diagram of Hudson steering wheel puller J-739-10 please? The wheel on my ‘53 Wasp just won’t budge despite several variations to my universal puller. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I just used a std. steering wheel/gear puller.   They are available on ebay and Amazon.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    can you post a photo of your wheel?
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited May 2022
    The Kent Moore J-739-10, "steering wheel puller adaptor" looks very similar to the vintage Snap-On Tools, CG-60, steering wheel puller.  Here's an image borrowed from eBay: SNAP ON TOOLS CG-60 STEERING WHEEL PULLER 40-50s | eBay  I have the Snap-On kit and once used it to remove the three spoke steering wheel from a 1950 Pacemaker Deluxe. 
  • soaked mine in penetrine overnight. Still was a struggle to get off.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited May 2022
    You can view the full PDF on my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/   select the HOW TO DO on the left side of the front page...then select remove steering wheel

• dalma
    dalma Member
    Thanks Glowplug. Apologies for the late reply. Many thanks for the photo of the puller. I THOUGHT it must be something as powerful as that. Had to be. My final attempt at removing the wheel was basically a square frame made from 3/16” thick angle iron held at each corner with 3/8” bolts. It fitted tightly under the wheel hub and pulled up with a universal puller. BUT IT BENT EVEN THAT!

Anyway I’ve given up. I’m scared to death of cracking the wheel hub now so I’ve covered the entire interior in plastic sheet, stripped all the original paint off the wheel and will paint it in position.

PS. Anyone know anyone who may have a Hudson steering wheel for sale just in case this one is damaged?
  • 50C8DAN
    When I have had difficulty removing shaft mounted parts I tighten the puller and use some Kroil on the mating surfaces and leave it for a day.  Come back and tighten slightly more and apply some more Kroil, and do that for several days.  It usually comes loose.
  • dalma
    dalma Member
    Thanks 50C8DAN. I actually did that but with WD40. Clearly I should have used Kroil but unfortunately I’d never heard of it. Having checked it out though I’m glad to say it is available here in Australia. It must be pretty good stuff as it costs (Australian) $108 or US$78 for an 8 fl.oz (236mL) can here. Wow!
  • 50C8DAN
    Wow! I had no idea it was that expensive there.  It is about 1/2 that here on Amazon.  I have not bought any in a while as I had quite a stock.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    In comparison tests a 50/50 mix of Auto trans fluid and acetone is a good (better?) penetrating oil. I mix it up and use it with success - keep stored in closed container  as evaporation is of course a given. Should be pretty cheap.