1936 Hudson Terra Centre Hood Hinge

Hi all I am from Australia thanks for the join.  I am chasing the centre hood hinge for a 1936 Terraplane, I saw some previous posts in regard to Mack trucks but I haven't been successful in locating one.  Wildrick is out of stock and Grumps Garage unfortunately wont send it international due to cost.  There are a few 32 Ford 48" ones on EBAY, has anyone tried these? if not are there any other suggestions or alternative parts that may fit.  Thanks in advance.  Regards.

Comments

• philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    Why not sign up with VPost who have two warehouses in USA and then get VPost to ship it to you Aust.  It's what I do (I am in Melbourne, Aus) when I want to buy something and the shipper will not ship internationally.
    As a side comment, I have just done an article for the Hudson Essex Terraplane Car Club Vic Inc February newsletter on this very topic.  Prior to using VPost, I was using an AustPost  - Shopmate but AustPost recently closed down this service.
    Regards
    Phil
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Be careful with a Mack hinge strip. It wouldn't fit my '34.
    I don't know whether one will actually fit the 1936 cars but you don't want to end up with scraped paint like I did.
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    With the Mack hinge, you need a spreader to open the hinge clamps/sliding gap more.  My father made a spreader way back in the 1978, you hammer it through and it works a treat.  I have Mack hinges  where I have opened the hinge clamps on three of my cars - 1934 & 1936 Terraplanes.  I still have one more Mack hinge in it's original form for my Tourer project and it will get the same spreading treatment.

• Old Fogey UK
    philster said:
    With the Mack hinge, you need a spreader to open the hinge clamps/sliding gap more.  My father made a spreader way back in the 1978, you hammer it through and it works a treat.  I have Mack hinges  where I have opened the hinge clamps on three of my cars - 1934 & 1936 Terraplanes.  I still have one more Mack hinge in it's original form for my Tourer project and it will get the same spreading treatment.

I wish someone had told me that before I tried ! 😖
     I have a Mack hinge gathering cobwebs at the back of my garage if anyone wants it.
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    This is the spreader that I was talking about.  Without using a spreader, the bonnet hinge jams!  

• I used a repro Ford hinge strip on a 33 Terraplane, went right on no problem, 
  • Old Fogey UK
    philster said:

Please could you post the dimensions of the spreader ?
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    So what hinge strip does work & slide right on??  I have a 37 Hudson (not terraplane) & need to find one to finally get my hood on it!
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Not trying to take over a thread here, yet I wondered if anyone had found a suitable replacement for the hood hinge brackets at the front & rear?   I’d seen this for a ford & if the same year center strip worked, it may also work.  Unfortunately I’m also missing these on my 37.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391217272156
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I have one of the Wildrick (which presumably came from Grumps) bonnet hinges on a 35 H8, the hinge arrangement is pretty much the same for 34/5/6. 
    For US suppliers who are hesitant about sending overseas, I use shipito.com, there are other similar services.
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    The dimensions of my spreader - the contour is that of the hinge.  Width is 16.2mm and a max height of 4.4mm and shaped at the front so you can set the spread easily.
    I usually hammer it through twice.  More recently, I have a flat piece of steel, slightly shaped at the front and hammer this through - 13.2mm x 3mm thick, then I use the other spreader.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Great advice Phil, I have a Mack centre to use on a '36 Hudson
  • Old Fogey UK
    philster said:
    The dimensions of my spreader - the contour is that of the hinge.  Width is 16.2mm and a max height of 4.4mm and shaped at the front so you can set the spread easily.
    I usually hammer it through twice.  More recently, I have a flat piece of steel, slightly shaped at the front and hammer this through - 13.2mm x 3mm thick, then I use the other spreader.
    Thanks very much.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    MGTD used a similar hinge but no telling whether it was the right width....or long enough.
  • Old Fogey UK
    In Britain you can buy universal hinge strip that is chrome on brass.
     I don't know if that could be opened out with a spreader but it would probably crack the chrome plating, so a stainless steel Mack hinge is a better idea.