Hard to start

My Hudson is hard to start when it is cold. It seems when it gets under 48 degrees, it will not start and runs the battery down. What did they do in the 1950s? I've tried everything, with no success.

Comments

• Have you checked the choke settings to be certain they are correct? 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    First.  was this starting and running well last fall before cold weather hit?

Second: do you have a battery that has adequate Cold Cranking Amps, that's well charged before you hit the starter?  Are all the battery connections "bright and tight", with a proper ground between engine, body and battery?  Ideally you could keep a battery maintainer on it all the time.  But if it "lives" in a distant building with no electrical power, you could take it into the house, fully charge it, then take it out and hook it up to see if you have any better success in starting.  (No need to permanently bolt it in, if you're just going to test it.)
  • superwasp said:
    Have you checked the choke settings to be certain they are correct? 

Yes, all of the above
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Have you removed the air cleaner / silencer, then pulled on the throttle linkage, to make sure that the accelerator pump squirts gas down the throat?  No squirt generally means no gas in the bowl, which possibly points to a fuel pump problem.  (Or, you just haven't hit the starter long enough to pump gas up into the bowl).

Or, you could just try spraying starter fluid into the carb as you attempt to start the car.  If that causes the engine to catch, it would be an indication that your problem may be fuel-related.

Of course your problem could be just the opposite: you have flooded the carb while trying to start the car.  Do you smell gasoline?

One problem in my car: sometimes the choke valve sticks "shut", allowing no air to get in.  It should be almost or completely closed in cold weather, but you should be able to open it easily with your finger.

• Yeah...Chinese made accelerator pumps and points are a serious problem for many. If you do have a good injection squirt as Jon suggested, I'd make sure there is a strong spark when cold too. 
  • Are you still on 6 volts? if so are your battery cables 00 ,double ought? My '42 with a 7X cranks a long time to start when not run for a while.  Gas has to be pumped back to the carb.  Like the other guys said, is your choke closed before you try starting the engine?  Good luck.
  • yes, I check the choke, and it was choke was close. I would pump the accelerator 4 or 5 times. Maybe I should just leave it alone.