Electrical

I'm having trouble with charging system in conjunction lighting. Gen is charging and can go all day stop and start. Turn lights on and zaps the battery while gen is still charging. Kind a thought if something serious it would kick out circut breaker. Did this once before and followed shop manual for adjusting voltage regulator then started working properly. Harness in good shape. Help!
    Kim

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hi: your electric gremlins have returned and the conditions appear the same as June posts? It is obvious the lighting circuits are the origin of the gen/reg difficulties.  Headlight switches are notorious for being a failure node for Stepdown electrical systems.  If Battery, regulator and generator are functioning per spec the rest of the inter connectors contain the faulty element.  My hi-low beam foot switch and associated wiring created havoc for me.  Replaced the wires , foot switch and added relays to drive headlight bulbs.  Discovered the headlight switch had burned contacts and replaced it.  Loss of lightning and low power are now gone.  Oh,  I use a 6 volt alternator now too.  Good luck. 👍🏻🍀 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Have you checked the actual voltage being put into the battery?   Should be 7.2 to 7.5 volts, with engine  doing 30 m.p.h. equivalent, and lights on, measured at the A Terminal of the  regulator.  
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor
    Yes they are the same. I had suspected the switch, but didn't want throw parts at it to find a cure. It will still charge when lights are on but not enough to keep up with negative draw. Always know when it's charging because of regulator clicking returning to idle. Also low rpm increase and lights get brighter. When I installed harness 9 years ago, I installed a NOS dimmer switch and have a nudder in parts stash. Now I'm on da hunt for a new Light switch. Don't know what da chances of finding NOS switch are but think I rather do that than chance a used switch.
       Thank you for da help,
         Kim
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to double check the voltage regulator setting.  If it is discharging with the light son, it is not charging enough.