straight 8 overhaul

Several questions concerning my 1949 commodore straight 8.  How do I determine if my existing pistons have standard rings; where can I get a new set of standard rings (254 cu in.straight 8) and what should I expect to pay?  Thanks for any help as I'm new to the hudson family.  

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Check the engine page on my website as well as the parts vendor page.  The folks who are posted on my page got there because they provide good parts and service to the HET COMMUNITY.   https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/  (NOTE most of the text on the left and right side of center on the first page of the site are links to other pages)
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    I think factory pistons are marked on top and valve chamber with cover off may have stamped original size of bore.  Also with head off run fingernail up to top of bore to check for ridge overhang. If not much may be good sign. I would assume you have pinned piston rings.  If you pull pistons then check bore for oversize and taper (more wear at top of bore). Will need to hone or bore out cylinder if worn  and then crosshatch pattern to seat new rings.  Check what you need before assume size of rings needed.