Step Down Rims

I think that this question has been asked before, yet, i can't seem to locate any of them. I know that Hudson step down car rims are 5 by 4.5 and are for 15 inch tires. What rims were used on the race tracks? I have been told that Hudson rims were not strong enough in the center for aggressive racing. Does anyone know what rims were used for racing back in the day? I have been told that Dodge or Chrysler rims were used because the center of the rims were stronger. Are these statements that i have heard true?

Comments

• Jack Miller told me they welded two centers in the wheels to double up the thickness.
  • The rims used for racing were called severe usage rims they have a double center because the stock rims were brakeing. They are very rare to find. I have 5 NOS severe usage rims in the boxes
    in my parts room since the 50’s. 
  • How much are you asking for those rims
  • I may sell my complete NOS Hudson parts inventory  later this year. Nos fenders,rear quarters, rocker panels,karvisors,doors, bumpers,grill guards, and mechanical parts,pistons,rings,connecting rods. I’ll post an add when I’m ready.
  • I may sell my complete NOS Hudson parts inventory  later this year. Nos fenders,rear quarters, rocker panels,karvisors,doors, bumpers,grill guards, and mechanical parts,pistons,rings,connecting rods. I’ll post an add when I’m ready.

I would be interested in all of your step down Parts when you are ready depending on location
  • I too would like in on the sale when it comes available please
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Massachusetts is a long ways away for me. 
  • Oh crap I didn’t see that
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Does anyone know exactly what vehicles had the 15x7 rims that work on the Hudson?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    BigSky said:
    Does anyone know exactly what vehicles had the 15x7 rims that work on the Hudson?
    Severe usage vehicles police, racing and all convertibles received these rims.  They were available as special order at any dealership.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Actually I was wondering what Chrysler/ Dodge vehicles came with the rims that work on a Hudson.  That way I can be on the lookout for a set of wider rims.
  • I have early 50’s Chrysler wire wheels on my 46 Hudson pickup. Early Chrysler products have the same bolt pattern and the holes for the locating pin on the Hudson brake drums. Dodge, Plymouth.DeSoto, and Chrysler Windsor fit. New Yorker and Imperial have a larger bolt pattern.
  • Thanks for this info. This will help me a great deal on the rims that I will be using
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Go to the suspension page on my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/
    There you will find in the right side of the page information on the wheels and how to measure etc.  
  • also interested in bona fide severe usage parts - thanks!
  • or even just photos/images, like the double center wheels!
  • I sold a complete set of NOS severe useage wheels still in their boxes to Doug Wildrick last year.
    I have an NOS severe useage cam also.
  • Tell me what the cam number is on your cam? I may be interested in it