1930s Hudson 8s x 2!

Hi There,

As someone who used to own a Railton I'm very interested in two Hudson 8s for sale locally to me. One is an ex New Zealand car which is right hand drive so I guess there will be no memories of it in the US (!?)

The other is left hand drive and apparently imported into the UK in '97 from Springfield.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know of the ex Springfield car?

2) I know about Great 8 and Greater 8 but what is 'Super 8'?

3) I'm reasonably familiar with Hudson straight 8 engines from the mid 30s but know nothing about these earlier ones with two heads. Are they similar in behaviour and longevity? 

I have no connection with the vendors.

I attach links to the two Ebay UK advertisements and look forward to any info that might enlighten or entertain me!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-Hudson-8-In-an-Original-Condition/174722736983?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1931-Hudson-Super-8-RHD-In-an-Original-Condition/174722725171?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    First: the 1930 Hudson eight was imported from Springfield, Illinois.  (There are many "Springfields" in the U.S. so unless someone read the advertisements in your links, they wouldn't know which one.)  Good luck in learning more about the car; maybe one of our forum participants will recall this car.

Second:  As to the "Super Eight":  after the War Hudson produced, for several years, a "Commodore" and a "Super" series.  Both were available with either a six or an eight cylinder engine.  So, a "Super Eight" was merely the Super series with an eight cylinder engine.  

Third: The first Hudson eight-cylinder engine appeared in 1930 and this was basically the same engine used through 1952 (with various modifications of course).  The earlier ones did have two heads but later in the 'thirties Hudson went to a single head.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    That Ex-NZ car, if it's the same one listed on www.carandclassic.co.uk , looks really nice and with an interesting history as it's an ex-Japanese Embassy car.
  • The ex Japanese car is in New Zealand, the two black and blue ones are in the UK (one ex NZ, one ex Springfield Illinois (thanks Jon). 

The obvious differences with later engines I can see are updraft carb, the  two heads and the distributor at the front. I assume that these early smaller capacity engines have marginally more space between cylinder bores? I only say this because our old Railton, now in a museum in the EU, had a cracked block between two bores which caused no end of bother in a time when finding another block in England was tough (and far too expensive for an art student!)

I will try and get to see the cars in the next week or two though I have no idea whether the asking prices are within the realms of reality.

• Nice  :)
  • Our old Railton, now in a collection, was much rougher when I had it! Much prefer to see cars out being used!

https://www.thebasementcollection.com/TheCollection/Railton-University-Cobham-Saloon

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The N.Z. car was originally a sun  Sedan which did not sell, so was rebodied in 1932.  the enignes of the '30 modle shad 2-3/4" bore.  The spacing was identical, but there was water jacket between the cylinders.  It was restore dby a friend of mine, now deceased,  back in the 70's.   The body is wooden framed, and nowhere near as robust as the  genuien Hudson steel body.  Engine was rebuilt by new owner after  my friend died.   
  • Geoff, thanks for the info on the NZ car, most helpful.