1931 headlight bulb removal and other questions

Any tips on removing the headlight  lens and bulb on my 1931 Hudson coupe?  Also, how does the rear window come out?  Mine is cracked and I need to replace it.  Are there any light bulbs in the dash gauges?  Has anyone ever shimmed the wooden spokes on the wheels?  Any other good tips on the car?  I recently bought the car, and it is a bit older than my Mustangs and 57 Chevy, so I am in need of advice from the experts!  Thank you very much!  

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Rear window is a bit tricky  because of the wind-down mechanism, so  you have   to dismantle the interior somewhat.   Bulbs are usual bayonet fitting, and not sure if you have round or oval headlamps, but  glass should  clipped in to the surround.   You can shim the ends of the spokes if they are loose, but it is not easy.  You must dismantle, and carefully note the  position of each spoke and hole so they go back in the original position.   Punch the shims out of a paint tin, and cut them to fit over the end of the spoke.  When punched they will have a conical shape in the centre, which should fit tight down on the corresponding shape of the spoke.  You  will  need a long threaded stud, or a large press to get the spokes back in.  I cut a hole in my workbench with the long stud through, and a plate that fits over the  hub and spokes.   Carefully position the spokes, and then wind down into place.  It will take some pressure to do this, and don't be surprised if all flies apart in the process!  Make sure all the holes and spokes are numbered with  permanent marker. (can be removed with methylated spirits [wood alcohol])  If you don't get them back in original position the centre hole may not be true. 
    Have fun! 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Blackdot, you might want to mention your approximate location.  Through some miracle, someone with a 1931, who's on this forum, might live in your area, and be willing to answer some of your questions (and let you see his car).  It's a long shot....but you never know!
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    There are some clever and knowledgeable people on this forum. I shake my head in amazement that they have so much knowledge. 
    Blackdot, or anyone fixing spokes, you might like to go to someone who has a press  (machine shop) and get enough spoke spacers for every wheel. They may have dies and can punch them out in a few minutes. Consider joining the HET club to access the library for 1931 info
  • Thanks, guys,  I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and  doubt that anyone near me has an older Hudson.  I joined the HET club in November, and have read everything I could find in the archives.  Geoff, I really like your monthly column in the W.T. Book. I read about a spoke tightening apparatus that doesn’t disassemble the spokes, but jacks them apart and adds “C”-shaped washers inside the rim.  Has anyone ever tried this?  My car has a timing advance knob on the instrument cluster, but a copy owner’s manual shows “automatic spark advance”.  Did they come either way?  I plan on pulling the oil pan tomorrow and cleaning everything up, so I might have lots more questions, thanks!
  • I already thought of another question...  how much play is allowed in the wooden spokes?  Maybe I won’t have to mess with them at all?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Any play is too much.