Tail light question

I noticed one of my brake lights was 1/2 as bright as the other so after checking connections I next pulled the bulb.  I found it was an 1157 bulb but my 37 calls for an 1158 bulb.  I assume there is a 12v vs 6v bulb difference and could this be the reason it’s dim?

Also noticed there is no reflector inside the housing.  Is there supposed to be something?  Have others come up with something if there wasn’t a factory reflector for the inside?  Other than spray painting the inside silver/chrome or tin foil?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You can spray it white in there.  There was never a reflector.  Currently, I have a large flashlight reflector in the taillight shell.  The hole in the center of the reflector (for the flashlight bulb) provides clearance around the taillight socket.  It works pretty well, and now of course I use LED's.
  • Get rid of the globe and buy an led light... Its twice the brightness... Changed my brake light 3 weeks ago... Should have done years ago cheers ken 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Do you guys have a link for the LED bulbs you used?  
    For a long time it was hit or miss on finding a good LED bulb for tail lights, so while I’ve done headlight bulbs on my daily driving vehicles I’ve not ever found success anywhere else. 
  • I have luck with the following for my running lights / stop lights on my 1951 Super 6 (replaces the 1154, 6 volt electrical system):

I use the old-style filament bulbs on my signal circuit because I haven't replaced the signal flasher and hazard light flasher with LED-compatible ones.

Good luck.
  • I bought mine at Oreilly’s
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    ken1962 said:
    Get rid of the globe and buy an led light... Its twice the brightness... Changed my brake light 3 weeks ago... Should have done years ago cheers ken 
    Ken's right.

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited November 2020
    LED bulbs are available in different colours and for best effect the colour of the LED should match the colour of the lens. So red LEDs for stop lights and tail lights.
    For tail lights that also have a clear window for number plate illumination you can buy a combination 2 colour bulb with a white number plate light and a red stop/tail light.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here's where I bought all my LEDs:  http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php

I got the headlights, taillights (dual filament), dash lights, rear license light / front fender lights, and electronic flasher, from the company.  It's in England, but shipping for all the bulbs was 20 British pounds.  The cost depends upon the current exchange rate.  The whole order (enough bulbs for everything including a spare or two, and shipping, ran $171.96 in US Dollars, back in early 2019.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Jon B said:
    Here's where I bought all my LEDs:  http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php

I got the headlights, taillights (dual filament), dash lights, rear license light / front fender lights, and electronic flasher, from the company.  It's in England, but shipping for all the bulbs was 20 British pounds.  The cost depends upon the current exchange rate.  The whole order (enough bulbs for everything including a spare or two, and shipping, ran $171.96 in US Dollars, back in early 2019.
    From an English point of view, I think he's a bit expensive.
    Shop around, there are alternatives.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Looks like they make some pretty interesting stuff.  I’m not up for spending that much on bulbs but it’s good to know there is at least an option for us.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I know this is an old thread but you all are a bit off the mark here.  1157 bulb is 12v.  A 12v bulb on 6v is going to be dim. The correct 6v bulb is 1158. 

That said, LED bulbs do work great and draw far less current.  I have them in my ‘34 Terraplane 
  •  1154 and 1158 are the 6 volt equivalents of an 1157 for 12v, since that’s the point of OPs thread.  If all your connections are good. They are plenty bright. Nothing wrong w LED or going to 12v, I still run 6v and don’t have any problem seeing the road or being seen on the highway. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here's a solution that an H-E-T'er gave me years ago: a flashlight reflector.

You have to find one with a hole that fits around the socket or the bulb base, and whose outside diameter will give it enough clearance to stuff into the taillamp housing. You might try looking at a second hand store.  Or on the internet if you can find one with dimensions available.  It sure worked good for me.  And the LED lamps make it all the brighter.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    That is a good one Jon, I never thought of that.

Thank you ,  Hans
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Will the 1154 or 1158 LED bulbs work with the original type, turn signal flasher I presently have on my Hudson?  
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Will the 1154 or 1158 LED bulbs work with the original type, turn signal flasher I presently have on my Hudson?  
    Yes it will
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited March 2022
    I purchased from ledlight.com two red LED 1154s for the taillights on my '53 Super Wasp as well as an LED turn signal, flasher unit.  The LED flasher unit fit into the old three prongs socket on my Hudson and works perfectly with the old incandescent bulbs providing a nice flasher-clicking sequence as well as flashing the jewel light on the left side dash. 

The LED tail lights didn't work out so well.  They plugged into the sockets just like the old bulbs.  When I tested the brakes and turn flashers they lit up as to be expected.  But when I turned on the headlights, the taillights didn't illuminate (yes, I have a good ground).  Interestingly, when I reversed the LED tail lights 180 degrees and pressed them into the sockets they lit up. 

I spoke to someone at ledlight.com over the phone and he thought it was a contact issue between the LED bulbs and sockets.  I told this individual that the sockets have spring pressure and electric contact shouldn't be a problem.  Seems to be there's something more here that needs to be looked into.  Anyway, that's my experience so far and I thought I'd share it with you all.   For now, it's back to the old 1154s.  Am I overlooking something here?

Dan 

• Old Fogey UK
    My LED turn signal bulbs blew out my "LED compatible" flasher unit - twice !
    So it was back to old fashioned bulbs for me.
    On the on the other hand, my LED brake light bulbs have never given me a moment of trouble.
    It's a funny old world, isn't it ?