Hornet Brake conversion

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited September 2020 in HUDSON
I finally got the disk brakes and new booster conversion done on my '54 Hornet.  The new booster fit right where the Tredlevac was located using a couple of small brackets adapting to the Tredlevac bracket.  The brake pedal also hooked up pretty easily as well.  I now have a dual master cylinder and stainless lines (well not everywhere but where it counts) also!  Only problem was one of the rear bleeder valves.  Did I ever say how much I hate rusted bleeders?  Kroil on it now and will use heat tomorrow.  Hopefully will be able to get everything working this week and back on the road.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for sharing!
  • That's a clean looking install. Is that a kit, or something you put together?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Thanks.  The disk brakes are an ABS kit, but the booster/dual master cylinder I put together.
  • Dan, I'm watching with great interest. I am planning on assembling something similar for my 54 coupe. I would be very interested to hear hod the pedal feel is once you start driving it. What is the bore of your master cylinder? 
    I changed the front suspension on my car to Jaguar, and it has four piston calipers. I'm trying to collect as much information as I can on what others have done, and how their setups worked. 
    Thanks for posting your upgrade. It looks real good.
  • FOR THOSE WANTING POWER BRAKES FOR PRE '54 STEPDOWNS; REVIEW THIS, BUT PROCEED AT YOUR OWN EXPERTISE:
    >>  https://goo.gl/photos/QEtE7t64Ebs53teC8

• HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser

Luckily I have 4 sets of the early Scarebird kits that use the Hudson hubs and 2 sets of the last kits that use the 68/69 Mustang rotors. I'm going to try putting step down spindles on my 47 coupe to use the 2nd late model set or I'll have to have some custom spacers made. The 2nd design uses spacers for the spacing bearing out. The inner bearing for the Mustang rotors used in the 2nd design has the same bearing bore of 1.250 and the 47 has an inner bearing bore of 1.190 and will need a bearing spacer like the one pictured.