47 electric wiper conversion

I am putting electric wipers in my 47 brougham and would like to use the original dash knob to control it.   Has anyone done this and what motor did you use?  I have all the stock hardware and am wondering if there is a kit or motor that would work.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

Ive done '37's and 47's.  Just Goggle Universal Wiper Motors either 6 or 12V. Remove spring Clip & Arm from Vac Mtr, then put a short piece 1/8 angle, drill 3 holes then attach across the orig wiper mount holes. Need to cut & shorten the Electric Mtr then attach the Vacume Mtr Arm. They now have two Spd Mtrs and could wire to an Intermitten switch. One Unit I bent a tiny rod up to the Orig Switch. Its late, so find & post pic tomorrow.

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I have been thinking on this conversion also.  Looked at Newport wipers and another brand of hot rod stuff. About $250 for everything but the dash switch was a question mark.  Will watch with interest
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The switch that Newport uses will allow use of the OEM Hudson knob.  
  • Ol racer
    Attached Universal Wiper Motor using your Hudson Link. About $50. if your handy takes a few hrs. I ran a rod from the wiper motor up to my '37 switch, on the other I installed a modern dash switch. The Newport is probably better since ready to install. I installed a CD/FM Radio that's small so unsure if stock radio clears.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    The next question which will result in opinions, is the electric that much superior to a good vacuum system?
  • Ol racer
     A good question and agree sure to get pro & con's. Ive always been told by Experts (that are gone now) to always remove dual action pump since 'might' leak gas into the oil pan or leak oil out. However, a Vacume Reserve Tank might be an Excellent Idea to aid vacume wipers.
  • stbryson
    stbryson Senior Contributor
    Hello,

What are the thoughts on using a Trico electric vacuum pump to run the wipers?

Take care,

Steve Bryson