Running lights 1923 Hudson

Does anyone have any experience with the running lights on a 1920's Hudson sedan.
I have one working and not the other.  Tried to take it apart and also checked the wiring.  All looks good but when I checked it with my meter I got 0 even on the working light? Just one wire going in so m guess is I have a grounding problem. Tried putting my lead all over the place but still 0 and the light is on. Having trouble getting the socket out of the non-working light and that may be the problem.  The photo is of the working light.
Robert

Comments

• If its a 6 volt positive ground car then the light frame, can and outer casing of the globe holder should be positive. The cable running within the frame should be checked that the cable outer sheild is not persished. This cable should pop out at the bottom of the globe holder and have attached a small dome shape button which touches the globe to light the globe. The button may have a damaged rubber washer allowing the negative to short with the positive globe holder frame. The other problem is the frame over time isn't grounded with the car. Cheers ken 
  • rhurst
    rhurst Member
    Thanks for your help Ken. Yes it is a 6 volt car.  At least I have one light working so if I
    can get a read on it the other one should match. I will pull out the wire and look for the small dome shaped button.
    Robert
  • rhurst
    rhurst Member
    Well I pulled everything apart and instead of a dome shaped button I found a wire entering the bottom of the bulb holder. I took the bulb holder and bulb and using a wire directly hooked it to the positive ground battery and would you believe a light.  Now I know the socket is not the problem. I'm sure it is the ground. Followed the wire to where it attaches to the other running light wire and jumper to the switch. Holding the tester on it smoke started coming out from who knows where. No reading on the meter. I'm sure I have a ground problem. maybe I need to run a new wire but that won's solve my ground problem.  Any thoughts? This car has an aluminum body so getting a ground connection is going to be difficult.   Open to any suggestions you may have.
    Robert 
  • rhurst
    rhurst Member
    Problem solved. Figured that the ground to the car was through the bracket that held the light on the car. Cleaned all the screw holds and screws. Now the light is bright and strong. Cleaned the other light bracket as well and the light got brighter. 98 years of crud!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You are indeed fortunate, as usually once the smoke has leaked out of an electrical circuit it ceases to function, or perhaps that only applies to British vehicles.  
  • You're right there Geoff, it's well known that Lucas, Prince of darkness lords over British cars only. My jag had switches that turned on, off, and flicker... ?
  • rhurst
    rhurst Member
    I know I also have an Austin Healey need I say more......
  • ken1962 said:
    You're right there Geoff, it's well known that Lucas, Prince of darkness lords over British cars only. My jag had switches that turned on, off, and flicker... ?
    “A gentleman does not go about motoring after dark”
    -Jos. Lucas