1937 Terraplane 212 intake/exhaust valves

Hello
   Looking for information on the intake and exhaust valves for the splasher 212. Mainly the exhaust as they are looking a little worn on the head compared to the intakes. I have seen a couple of listings on ebay for Toledo S-884 advertised as exhaust valves for that engine but have also seen a Toledo S-886 advertised for the same engine. Any information on Toledo numbers or if there were different exhaust valve designs for the 212. Thanks 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You don't specify which model you have.   There were three different stem thicknesses used in the 212 motors, 
  • camaroz27
    camaroz27 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ahh,let me see what I can give you and could you elaborate on those models? Well it is a 37 coupe with a 212, power dome on the head, single barrel carb, has the electric hand. What else could I provide or where could I get the info you need. VIN, engine #, ect?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Can't give you the number, but your valves have 3/8" stems, and 1-3/8" heads
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I definitely agree with Ken’s recommendation of using the 1938-47 valves & guides.  They are available through Dale Cooper.  

I replaced both intake & exhaust valves & guides on my ‘37 Hudson with the 38-47 valves & guides in the last year.  If your up for a few modifications This is what I did to my 212 engine:  polished valves, backcut valves, 3 angle valve job, porting & polished intake & exhaust, shortened guides with tapered ends in ports.  May want to also look at a little mill of the head & un-shrouding of the spark plugs.

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    It maybe wise to pull the cam & do the cam thrust washer behind the front of the cam & put a new cam gear on it too.  Wildrick has the Improved replacement cam thrust washer & Dale Cooper has replacement cam gears.   I’ll be going back & re-opening up my engine to do these things in the very near future since I’m 99.9% sure my cam gear “is” or “has” failed.  In hind sight I should have done these things while I had the engine apart before doing valves, guides & cylinder hone.