Clock question

Hi everybody!  I have a '51 Pacemaker with a wind-up clock.  I got a replacement clock face to replace the original, which was cracked.  I was trying to take the bezel off the clock but I couldn't get the knob off of the winding stem.  Is there a trick to this?  Thanks!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here is an article on electric clock repair (using the Geo. Borg clock as an example), from Old Cars Weekly.  https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/restoration/putting_the_ticktock_back_in_your_old_car_clock

From the article, here's advice on knob removal: ". Remove the knob from the set stem. Some are held on by a small screw in the center. Also, the entire knob may simply screw onto the shaft. In either case, you’ll need to hold the stem to prevent it from turning."

In the center of the knob you may see a small slot (as you'd see on a slotted-head screw).  Using a tiny screwdriver remove that center piece, and then you can remove the entire knob.  Or, as the author says, just grasp the shaft with a small pair of pliers, and then you can unscrew the knob from it.
  • WINST10
    WINST10 Member
    Thanks Jon!  I fooled around with it awhile and was able to figure it out myself.  I used a needle nose pliers to hold the shaft, then I was able to unscrew the knob.  Thanks for your help!