1968 AMC Rebel 550 4 door for sale in AZ $2,800 OBO

Unknown
edited November -1 in American Motors
Well, I am selling my AMC. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment now, and have minimal space available for storing this vehicle. It has been driven maybe 50 miles in the past 5 months. This car deserves more utilization than this, as it is fully restored. This 1968 AMC Rebel 550 still has the original 232 I6 engine in it, and the original 3 speed manual transmission. The shifter has been converted from on the column to on the floor. Unfortunately, the spot where the stick mounted to the column is now just a hole. Not too noticeable. Odometer currently has 28,155 miles on it right now. The engine and transmission were rebuilt when the odometer rolled over at 00,000. Not sure how many miles are actually on the car. The differential was replaced at 19,000 miles (9k miles ago) with a custom built Ford 9” differential due to failure of the original one.

The engine is primarily stock. Still has the Holly 1 bbl carburetor with single exhaust with one 40 Series Flowmaster. When the engine was professionally rebuilt at the machine shop here in Tucson, we had them install a performance cam (not sure on the specs of the cam). We also had them modify a bolt in the head to allow maximum oil pressure in the lifter area. I still have a print out of this modification, if a copy is desired. I have, however, replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical one, which is mounted on the passenger’s side firewall. Just replaced the belt and performed an oil change. Have always replaced the oil every 2k. Does not leak, smoke, or guzzle oil. Holds all of its oil between changes. Tires have about 8k on them, and are Futura 2000LTE touring tires.

Paint is okay, considering the fact that this was my high school car, and drove it down I-10 daily for about 4 years. Car was in the mountains of New Mexico for a year, and has minimal surface rust on things like the brake drums (car has 4 wheel drums, all brakes are newer with plenty of life left). However, there is NO RUST anywhere. When we bought the car in 2000, we patched the only small spot of rust it had with fiberglass. This was on the passenger’s floorboard, and you cannot even tell it was rusted from inside or out.

Interior was redone in 2001 after the paint was done. Interior was professionally done here in Tucson, also. The design is not original, however, it does match pretty well. The headliner is all original, is the original interior color/pattern, and is slightly stained. Dash cap was redone, also, and has a dash mat on it to prevent any future cracking. Some of the plastic pieces around the light switches, ignition, etc. have become quite faded, and slightly cracked. Nothing too noticeable. Car already had the modification where the ashtray used to be in order to install a standard DIM stereo, and doesn’t look too tacky. Does include the 5.25” speakers in the door, the 6x9s in the rear, and is prewired to accept a subwoofer. All speakers are Kenwoods that were installed in 2001, and are still good. May be able to install a Sony CD deck, if interested.

I have tried to list all flaws, however, I have not driven the car in awhile, so it is hard to recall them all. The only other things that should be noted are the following: 1) The throw out bearing occasionally squeals when initially releasing the clutch. This typically only happens after a long drive. Clutch may also need replacement, even though it was replaced when the engine was rebuilt. This does not prevent the drivability; it’s simply a matter of a slight noise when cold. 2) The brakes appear to need bleeding, but the car is still drivable. This is only noticed when sitting still and applying lots of pressure to the pedal.

I also have a 390 CFM Holly 4 bbl carburetor, the corresponding intake manifold, and dual outlet headers for this car. Unfortunately, they cannot be installed with the current setup since the rear collector dumps on the starter. To install these, it would be necessary to modify the rear collector or pipe, or find a different transmission or bell housing to use with the Ford starter. This car has the Delco starter and electrical setup. These will be included if the car is purchased for the asking price of $2800.

Well, that’s all I can think of currently. This is truly a great car, and hate the thought of selling it; however, 4 cars is too many, per the apartment complex. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive this vehicle anywhere, and have taken it on many long trips. Shipping is up to the interested party, however, I can assist if it fits into my schedule. Any questions, please ask. Will answer as prompt as possible. Car is located in Tucson, AZ 85730.

Comments

• nn2004 wrote:
    Well, I am selling my AMC. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment now, and have minimal space available for storing this vehicle. It has been driven maybe 50 miles in the past 5 months. This car deserves more utilization than this, as it is fully restored. This 1968 AMC Rebel 550 still has the original 232 I6 engine in it, and the original 3 speed manual transmission. The shifter has been converted from on the column to on the floor. Unfortunately, the spot where the stick mounted to the column is now just a hole. Not too noticeable. Odometer currently has 28,155 miles on it right now. The engine and transmission were rebuilt when the odometer rolled over at 00,000. Not sure how many miles are actually on the car. The differential was replaced at 19,000 miles (9k miles ago) with a custom built Ford 9” differential due to failure of the original one.

The engine is primarily stock. Still has the Holly 1 bbl carburetor with single exhaust with one 40 Series Flowmaster. When the engine was professionally rebuilt at the machine shop here in Tucson, we had them install a performance cam (not sure on the specs of the cam). We also had them modify a bolt in the head to allow maximum oil pressure in the lifter area. I still have a print out of this modification, if a copy is desired. I have, however, replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical one, which is mounted on the passenger’s side firewall. Just replaced the belt and performed an oil change. Have always replaced the oil every 2k. Does not leak, smoke, or guzzle oil. Holds all of its oil between changes. Tires have about 8k on them, and are Futura 2000LTE touring tires.

Paint is okay, considering the fact that this was my high school car, and drove it down I-10 daily for about 4 years. Car was in the mountains of New Mexico for a year, and has minimal surface rust on things like the brake drums (car has 4 wheel drums, all brakes are newer with plenty of life left). However, there is NO RUST anywhere. When we bought the car in 2000, we patched the only small spot of rust it had with fiberglass. This was on the passenger’s floorboard, and you cannot even tell it was rusted from inside or out.

Interior was redone in 2001 after the paint was done. Interior was professionally done here in Tucson, also. The design is not original, however, it does match pretty well. The headliner is all original, is the original interior color/pattern, and is slightly stained. Dash cap was redone, also, and has a dash mat on it to prevent any future cracking. Some of the plastic pieces around the light switches, ignition, etc. have become quite faded, and slightly cracked. Nothing too noticeable. Car already had the modification where the ashtray used to be in order to install a standard DIM stereo, and doesn’t look too tacky. Does include the 5.25” speakers in the door, the 6x9s in the rear, and is prewired to accept a subwoofer. All speakers are Kenwoods that were installed in 2001, and are still good. May be able to install a Sony CD deck, if interested.

I have tried to list all flaws, however, I have not driven the car in awhile, so it is hard to recall them all. The only other things that should be noted are the following: 1) The throw out bearing occasionally squeals when initially releasing the clutch. This typically only happens after a long drive. Clutch may also need replacement, even though it was replaced when the engine was rebuilt. This does not prevent the drivability; it’s simply a matter of a slight noise when cold. 2) The brakes appear to need bleeding, but the car is still drivable. This is only noticed when sitting still and applying lots of pressure to the pedal.

I also have a 390 CFM Holly 4 bbl carburetor, the corresponding intake manifold, and dual outlet headers for this car. Unfortunately, they cannot be installed with the current setup since the rear collector dumps on the starter. To install these, it would be necessary to modify the rear collector or pipe, or find a different transmission or bell housing to use with the Ford starter. This car has the Delco starter and electrical setup. These will be included if the car is purchased for the asking price of $2800.

Well, that’s all I can think of currently. This is truly a great car, and hate the thought of selling it; however, 4 cars is too many, per the apartment complex. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive this vehicle anywhere, and have taken it on many long trips. Shipping is up to the interested party, however, I can assist if it fits into my schedule. Any questions, please ask. Will answer as prompt as possible. Car is located in Tucson, AZ 85730.
    got a picture? i am on a quest, for my older brother. his e-mail is larry something or other at windstream. i will supply it if he is interested more.

he lives in nebraska and i am looking for rebel sheetmetel, from arizona. you jst happen to have a whole car:)
  • Sold it awhile back ago. I wouldn't of sold it for donor purposes anyways.
This discussion has been closed.