4943 overdrive

coverton
coverton Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in American Motors
Just purchased a 49 600 with OD Anyone know how it is suppose to operate ? Have not gone for it yet but dealer says the cable is slipping and will not engague I thought it had an electric switch too ??

Thanks anybody

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Regarding the mechanical cable that actually pulls the lever on the side of the overdrive case, the repair would be simple. Just get under the car, discover where the cable connects to the lever on the transmission, then disconnect it. Then, inside the car, make sure that the dashboard knob is within about 1/8" of being pushed all the way in. Go back under the car and pull the OD lever on the transmission BACK as far as it will go, and re-connect the cable.

Now, go back and pull the dashboard knob all the way out. This should pull the transmission lever all the way forward. Be SURE that when the cable has pulled the lever forward, there is still a small portion of the cable sticking out of the cable's jacket, under the car. If not, the lever will hit the jacket before is has moved its complete travel. The jacket is clamped to a mounting bracket on the transmission and it must be firmly clamped. Check this clamp from time to time to see that the jacket has not slipped.

When you push the dash knob in, it should push the lever as far back as it can travel. Having that extra 1/8" left in the dash knob's travel (before it's pushed all the way in) is a guarantee that you'll always know the transmission lever (under the car) has travelled to its limit. Were you NOT to have that clearance at the end of the knob's travel, the knob might bottom out on the dashboard before the transmission lever (under the car) had gone its full travel. This would mean the car could not go into overdrive.
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    Jon, Thanks a bunch !! I am printing this for my Nash folder. Hope to have the car in the next few weeks here in Eastern NC Carroll Overton
This discussion has been closed.