308 rear main seal

Thanks for all of your advice on adjusting the valves. I've checked that off my list. My '52 308 is on a stand and now I'd like to replace the rear main seal with Mr. Maas graphite product contained in his complete gasket rebuild kit.
Any tips, caveats re: procedure? Do I only remove the 2 main bolts or the 2 smaller bolts as well near the lower back side of the cap? And now the fun part, the removal of the old and the installation of the new seal.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts 

Comments

• devin
    devin Member
    Ok. I successfully removed the main cap as well as the lower plate. To my surprise, the graphite seal looks rather recent, but who knows. I'll now follow all the sound advice on older posts about setting the nw rope in and cutting it off appropriately.
  • devin
    devin Member
    Thank you Ken. All great points. I had no proof that the motor had been leaking. I just thought that I would be proactive and replace both the front and main seals since the motor is already torn down ( leaving crank pistons and valves in place) 
    I will examine the 1-13/16 rear cam plug. Thanks for the tip.
  • devin
    devin Member
    I haven't yet installed the seal, for I must purchase the black silicone. But to answer your question, I removed the 3 bolts holding the plate containing the upper seal. I now have the two "caps" in front of me ready to accept new seals.
    I wanted to ask you about replacing the front seals. The Maas kit comes with strands of rope as well as two graphite lengths which I intend to use in the rear. Must I use the rope in front or can I obtain more graphite lengths for that one as well??
    Thank you.
  • devin
    devin Member
    Great! Maas did include ample amounts of yarn. thank you once again!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If anyone wants free mop string, I have about 200 years supply of it!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Mop string will fit in an ordinary envelope.  $5 overseas postage.