adjusting valves cold

Greetings fellows, I'm seeking advice on how to go about adjusting the valves in my 308 while the motor is out of my car. Can anyone walk me through the process or suggest a video? Thank you in advance!
Devin

Comments

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    edited April 2020
    Take a look at Ken Cates website.  The engine section has an article on valve adjustment.  it is below the heading of Hudson Big 6
    https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Engine.htm

• devin
    devin Member
    thank you. I'll check it out now

• devin
    devin Member
    Thank you CCHancel!
    I want to thank you all for imparting your wisdom. I believe that I successfully adjusted my first valves The chart above really made it easy. Thank you again!
  • You are welcome.

It is available from the website previously recommended (which has great information).  I colored it so that the printout is easy to read under the car. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I've only ever adjusted the valves cold and with the manifold off on my 254 because ( and I know I am only a non-technical lawyer writing this ) I can't see how you could get your hands around the manifold to do it with a hot motor - there isn't enough room, especially as things are going to be rather hot in that area.
    Am I missing something ?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I too have always adjusted valves after at  least a 20 mile run, so that whole assembly is thoroughly  hot and expanded.  Not with engine running though.  It only takes half an hour, and  it takes a few hours  for it to cool right down.   It is much more difficult on the Step-downs admittedly, as you have take the side plate off.   Do this beforehand.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Actually, Geoff, I think it's probably more tricky on a prewar 254. I have the burn scars to prove it !
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Its always puzzled me that in their workshop manuals Hudson specified hot valve clearances when most car makers specified cold clearances. 
    There is no way that on the Hudson engine assembly line the engines were run up to temperature prior to final setting of the valve clearances. The factory would have set the valves cold.
    Why inflict on your customers the hazards of setting the valves hot when Hudson didn't do that themselves?