Headlights kill battery - part 2

This discussion was created from comments split from: Headlights kill Battery.

Comments

• My lights are very dim!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I had a similar problem a number of years ago.  My battery was shot and when I turned on the headlights they were dim.  How old is the battery?
  • You may want to start a new thread as the one your seeking help on is 6 years old
  • battery is new, generator has been rebuilt, new regulator.  I suspect the old wiring is at fault (?)
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Did you "flash" the regulator? 
  • Did you "flash" the regulator? 
    No I do not think so, what is that?
  • might try this to "Polarize{ the generator:
    First, momentarily attach a jumper wire from the BAT terminal of the regulator to the ARM terminal, for no more than a second or two. This "polarizes" the generator, establishing "residual magnetism" in it. 

With all the wires removed from the generator, there should be at least 1/2 volt present at the ARM terminal of the generator with the engine running. If this voltage is not present after polarizing, don't bother with any other tests- - - - -you've got a bad generator. If the residual voltage is there, reconnect the wiring, and run the engine with a jumper wire connected between the FLD terminal of the generator and ground. The voltage at the ARM terminal should increase rapidly as you rev up the engine. Do not allow it to go above 8 volts or so. If it will do that, you've got a generator that's capable of charging the battery. If it's not charging, the trouble is in the regulator or the wiring. Do the same series of tests- - - -ground the Field wire and measure voltage at the ARM wire of the regulator to check the condition of the wiring.