Resto-mod....power brakes needed?

Working on a '49 Hudson/Cadillac 500 project with a Fatman frontend. It has front disc brakes and a very limited area for brake pedal/master cylinder and I am wondering how necessary power brakes are with this setup. The Caddy engine is pretty much stock and will not be driven hard, mostly cruising and long trips.
Has anyone done this and used non-power brakes?
Thanks

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    There are Suppliers that sell under floor dual power M/Cyl's.. You will need Power Brakes and now is the time to do it. I installed a small '04 Chevy Cavalier Booster & Swing pedal on a '51....
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited February 2020
    My installation is still perfect and stops on a 'dime' !!!  Shoulder belts REQUIRED ~~~~
    https://goo.gl/photos/QEtE7t64Ebs53teC8
  • I used a Dual Bail Style Master Cylinder (DMBC09) and combination Value (PVK71) attached to a 7" Delco style booster.

• I will be using a booster and bracket from 66-77 Bronco in my 54. You will definitely want power brakes.
  • I'm still in the planning stage on my 51 Commodore coupe, but intend to use a remote Hydro-Boost unit activated by the original master cylinder and probably mounted in the trunk.
  • I eventually put MC and power booster under floor, worked fine and less clutter around engine.
  • airbrushguy, I have 1951 Hornet. ABS disc up front, Ford drums out back. No power. Stock Hudson pedal. I used Matt Faust dual MC mounting bracket under the floor with a 1972 Corvette MC  (for disc and drums), used line pressure vales, 10 PSI on back line and 2 PSI on front line. The stock pedal is 6.5 to one ratio along with the Vet MC no power is needed. Puts you through the windshield.    
  • airbrushguy, I have 1951 Hornet. ABS disc up front, Ford drums out back. No power. Stock Hudson pedal. I used Matt Faust dual MC mounting bracket under the floor with a 1972 Corvette MC  (for disc and drums), used line pressure vales, 10 PSI on back line and 2 PSI on front line. The stock pedal is 6.5 to one ratio along with the Vet MC no power is needed. Puts you through the windshield.    
    I was afraid the 500 Cadillac that I put in might need more help.