Horn button

Might sound like a stupid question, but how does this horn button come off without breaking anything?

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    You push it in and turn it not sure witch way L/R ?
  • That did the trick, it turns left. Thank you. Now to see why the horn won’t work from there. ?
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Wire might have came loose at the end of the shaft 
  • Yeah yeah I’ll check later this week, this is an all original 17k mile car been in storage for decades, so trying to keep as well preserved as possible 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's mighty simple circuitry.  The wire runs from the horn relay on the firewall, down to the steering box and up through the steering shaft where it is soldered to a brass terminal.  The terminal contacts the underside of the horn button.  When you press the horn button down, the a metal  plate on the underside, grounds against some metal fingers which are bolted to the  steering shaft.   That completes the horn circuit.

In short: pressing the horn button grounds the circuit that comes from the horn relay, and activates the horn.

When you take off the button you will see the wire emerging from the top of the steering shaft, with a brass terminal on the end.  Simply take a short piece of electric wire, touch the terminal with one end and the metal steering shaft with the other.  The horn should toot.  (I assume your battery is connected!)

No horn?  Check to make sure your horn relay is getting electrical power, and that both horns are fastened to the terminals in the relay.  And that you're getting a circuit through that long wire (with soldered terminal) that comes up your steering shaft.

On the other hand, if you get the horn to work by grounding the terminal but not by pressing the horn button, check the underside of the button to see why it's not grounding correctly.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Tap on the horns then might be stuck open from sitting for so long
  • Good info guys, thank you. I do know that the horns work as I did ground the relay under the hood.