Question concerning putting a newer drivetrain and frame on my 1941 hudson as well as rear bumper

I am just curious about if anyone can tell me is it possible to use a newer frame and drivetrain in my 1941 deluxe six Hudson. I am thinking because it is so hard to get parts or work done on my car in Canada perhaps a newer frame drivetrain would be a better way to go any ideas on what would be the best car for a donar. also my rear bumper was new but some hit it and it is bent as the chrome is also cracked any help with what other application for a bumper may work.

Thanks so much And have a Merry Christmas and New Year Bernie

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I fear that the cost of transplanting the car's body onto a different chassis (for that is what you are proposing) would be fairly expensive, in comparison with the inconvenience of not having parts at your fingertips.  If this was your everyday car and you put tens of thousands of miles on it yearly, you could perhaps justify the cost, but are you doing that?

Most of us who have owned our Hudsons for years have developed a procedure for finding parts (which includes keeping lists of parts interchanges for more popular cars). We contact Hudson parts suppliers, comb the internet, phone friends with similar cars to ours, and (especially) make use of the Club's two internet forums to learn where we can purchase parts.  Then, too,  I can still order drive train parts like wheel cylinders, universal joints, etc., for my 1937, from the local auto parts store, with perhaps a 1- or 2-day delivery time.  Of course, body parts are always going to be a problem.  New fenders and body panels may still be out there but they're not easy to find.  But the critical mechanical parts that keep your Hudson running are still mostly available.

Perhaps if you would list, here in the Forum, some of the parts you've had trouble finding, we can make suggestions.  Of course I assume you're in the H-E-T and are aware of the available parts and suppliers through the WTN and the Club's website.  Over the many years I've been driving my Terraplane I have indeed encountered difficulties in finding this and that.  But I've still managed find the necessary parts, and have put tens of thousands of miles worth of driving on the odometer.