HET store books question

I've told hubby I'd love to get some Hudson books for Christmas and my birthday. I'm going to order them myself though, and could use some advice on which ones to get.

These are the Hudson books I already have:
  • Patrick Foster: Hudson Automobiles
  • Don Butler: The History of Hudson
  • John Conde: The Cars That Hudson Built
  • J. C. Long: Roy D. Chapin - The Man Behind The Hudson Motor Car Company
  • Richard Langworth: Hudson 1946-1957 - The Classic Postwar Years
  • Charles Hyde: Storied Independent Automakers

I'll definitely order "Fun At Work" (I've read bits of it online and found it hilarious as well as informative), and "Total Domination" (which I've been recommended), but I would need some advice on two of the other books.

The "Essex Family Album" doesn't seem to have a price or ordering button. I wonder if it's already sold out, not available yet, or if it simply displays incorrectly on my computer? And, does it add more information or photos in addition to the books I already have, or is it simply convenient to have it all compiled in a single volume?

About "Hudson 1939-1954", the description says "Many pictures and illustration. Perfect book for many of our newer members. Covers build numbers dimensions and other sales specifications." Again, I wonder if it adds more information and photos compared to the books I've already got. The fact that it's recommended for "newer members" makes me cautious. (Foster's book was the first one I bought, and while it was a good introduction for a complete newbie I felt no need for it once I got Butler's book.)

I appreciate any input that can clarify what these two books add compared to the ones I have! Overseas shipping and VAT add a lot to the price, so I don't like taking chances on books I know so little about.

Comments

• bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    The Essex book may be earlier than your interest lies.  But that said, that book has been pdf'd and is in the club library.  click on library, then find the folder labeled "general" under other Hudson-Essex-Terraplane literature.
  • Thank you for your suggestions! I do have a soft spot for Essex, especially around the late 1920s with the smoother body shape and fancy engraved dashes. I'm not a HET Club member so I don't think I can access the PDF in the Club Library, and didn't plan to join yet. But if the Essex Family Album is still available as a printed book I'd like to hear more about it as I might be interested in buying a copy.
  • I would suggest getting Automobile Quarterly Volume 9 Number 4 There is one available now on ebay could be bought individually for $4.95
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Anna  A wealth of information is available in hard copy print as well as the internet.  The HET CLUB is an organization that brings together like minded marque based owners.  Local groups including those in your home country are the backbone of the club and it is there that you will find those who like you have a zeal for ownership and maintenance of HET vehicles.  Some like myself started with these cars as a means of everyday transportation. This has advanced to the ownership of several of the cars and showing them at chapter and local car shows.   

As a way of making sure information about the stepdown era cars is maintained. I have a website that is free to all to view.  It covers the cars manufactured from 1948-1954.  You can view this site a this URL  https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

Visit often and when you are ready to purchase your own car ... let us know what your dream Hudson might be .,. I am sure it is available some where in this wide world.

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the list of books.  I haven't heard of several of them.  Just be careful when you search total domination on amazon.  You need to add the word hudson to it.
  • 49S636T said:
    I would suggest getting Automobile Quarterly Volume 9 Number 4 There is one available now on ebay could be bought individually for $4.95
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking for that very issue, but I'm trying to find it in Europe, to keep the total cost down. Same goes for the Hemmings book of Hudsons.
  • ratlee2 said:
    Thanks for the list of books.  I haven't heard of several of them.  Just be careful when you search total domination on amazon.  You need to add the word hudson to it.
    Glad I could help, and thanks for the warning! I planned to order from the HET Club anyway, so I haven't searched elsewhere.
  • Glowplug,
    Your website is a treasure trove of information, I've bookmarked it and will definitely spend a lot of time there! One site I've visited a lot, and didn't spot among your links, is the Hudson pages of the Auto History Preservation Society.

I do plan to participate in my local club in the ways I can, probably writing for the club magazine for a start. 

I've never thought of looking world-wide for my dream car, but I do like the idea - I'll definitely bring it up, when that day comes!  :)