I was not counting on this , its too close for comfort , thoughts ?

supersix
supersix Member
edited August 2019 in The Flathead Forum
I put the 262 head  back on the 7x today , ( I’ve been painting it Gold rather than the Red I painted it years ago )and its never been fired  Standard Fel pro gasket already torqued down several years ago. This is what if found. My Champion H11 plug , not even gapped correctly has a distance of 50 thousandths from the bottom of the washer to the bottom of the electrode. The distance from the surface of the head where the plug would seat to the top of that Very pretty stainless steel valve seems to be 52 , thou , maybe 53 . I certainly need a more accurate way to measure the top of valve to the plug seat but I did it over and over and am pretty confident I got it right. Keep in mind I still need to gap the plug correctly. I put a folded piece of blue tape on the electrode and screwed it in, Took it out and the tape was still on the electrode. I can’t remember the specs on the cam but that valve is standing proud. Can I just put another washer on each plug to gain the distance I think I need ? 

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited August 2019
    I would use a shorter Reach plug if possible or 'Side Gap'...
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    J8 plugs should do the trick.

• Thanks , Geof , I found 8 of ‘em on eBay for less than 19.00 includuding shipping. Thanks again , say any chance you have Walt’s email ? He’s not responding to the one I’ve used in the past 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Sorry, can't help there. 
  • Ok , thanks