36 Terraplane Coupe hot rod getting 49/50 254 eight cylinder and Commodore rear end.

Ideas and knowledge needed.  I have recently bought a 49 Commodore parts car that came with a very crusty 6 and a rebuilt 8.  I got two transmissions and a Commodore rear end in the parts car.  The Terraplane I am trying to get going has no suspension or rear end.  A quick glance at the springs, they are hung the same way.  I am wondering if it is a bolt togeother deal or a giant headache?  by the way, I have lots of Commodore body parts and trim for sale.  

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for this info.  I will do some measuring tomorrow.  Another idea is to cut 9 inches out of the Commodore frame and drop the Terraplane body on that.  What do you think?  then the 8 and the trans will bolt right in and wala-there we go.  I can see the Step down frame would probably need some narrowing.  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Only drawback with your plan is the Commodore is unitary construction - no frame (chassis)
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

An 8 Cyl wont fit into a short Terraplane without notching the firewall slightly & cutting the frame under the radiator, then reinforcing frame. Also would need an electric fan in front of Rad,. But it could be done.

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Appears that this project needs a lot more research if it could ever have a positive ending
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Trade your 8 cyl for a Jet six , fits like it came with one, same power output
  • Ol racer-The Terraplane is/was an old race car (gasser) with a set back Pontiac engine and GM700R4 trans and 9 inch ford rear with ladder bars.  Already has an aluminum radiator with electric fan.  If I had a fresh chassis I would use it, but when I got the car it came with a body and somewhat hacked up frame, nothing else.  So the changes you suggest have already been done once, by me.  Just quite racing.  

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

Your all set to put the 8 Cyl into that car then but not sure about the narrow Stepdown Rear since ive always narrowed a 9" Ford into my '37's. If you have a narrowed 9" now, I would leave it depending on Ratio.

I bet its Locked for Drag Racing though but there are plenty of Ford 9" Center Section's to easily sinsert into your narrowed housing and maybe easier then fitting  the '49 rear.... Ford has 3.00, 3.50, 3.90 ratios just to name a few available in Salvage Yards.

• Ol racer said:

FYI

Your all set to put the 8 Cyl into that car then but not sure about the narrow Stepdown Rear since ive always narrowed a 9" Ford into my '37's. If you have a narrowed 9" now, I would leave it depending on Ratio.

I bet its Locked for Drag Racing though but there are plenty of Ford 9" Center Section's to easily sinsert into your narrowed housing and maybe easier then fitting  the '49 rear.... Ford has 3.00, 3.50, 3.90 ratios just to name a few available in is a Yards.        My  9 inch is a early bronco, large bearing, 31 spline with Detroit locker.  350 gears. I had 10 inch rims made (5 x 5.5) with custom offset and Hurst pie crust slicks. very usable except it is ladder bars and coil overs, not great for a street car.  I can weld, I can put the commodore springs in, just still considering my options.  The Commodore rear does appear to be too narrow for my liking.  And all the current stuff works very well with the (built) 700R4, which has a low first and overdrive.  I do not like the cost of the 700r4 to Hudson adapter kits, but it is the easiest way to proceed.  I do have enough engine setback into the firewall to put the  Hudson engine in place.  I would have to move my fabed in aluminum radiator forward an inch or 2.

syddthekidd said:
    I think if you have the ability to even think about dropping the terraplane body onto the commodore guts, you certainly can weld a couple spring perches in place and deal with a bit a length difference in the rear ends.  Don't know what tranny you are planning on using but you will have to deal with the X frame on the terraplane as well.....don't have experience with it but not sure how the 8 and a Hydramatic will all cram in there.  Sounds interesting though.