52 - 54 rear axle

This may have been covered before, but I can't find anything.
Is there a posi-traction unit for these rear axles?   Part #?
Are flange type axles & brake drums that will work in this axle?  Part #s or application?

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    There are posi units out there for 19 spline dana 44 rears.
    No flange axles that I am aware of for the Hudson dana. 
    May be better off converting a late model rear end.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    19 spline danas were used in a number of applications and you can buy them still today:
    https://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/dana-44-2/
  • Fred_Pitz said:
    This may have been covered before, but I can't find anything.
    Is there a posi-traction unit for these rear axles?   Part #?
    Are flange type axles & brake drums that will work in this axle?  Part #s or application?
    Check with the Studebaker guys. I've read about rear end mods that apply to both brands. I know that posi-traction was available. My Dad has one in the 52 Super Wasp (3.56:1 ratio) he drag races.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    xxxcrazyuncleharry@gmail.com (without the xxx) has done some research on posi gears for Hudsons
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    I know the Stude guys have a flange axle conversion for their rear ends. My son talked to a Stude guy about doing one for a Hudson. This was some years ago. I do not remember the guys name.  I picked up a Stude trans and rear end this week. I have not had a chance to check out the rear end. I don't know what I really have. The trans was a T 96 with OD. The rear has a tag that  has  W 41/9 on it.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited August 2019
    The stude dana 44 axle size is different then the Hudson version,  bearing size is smaller. I posted pictures a few years ago. Ted Harbit, renowned owner and racer of the 51 Studebaker "Chicken Hawk" originaly came up with the stude flanged axle conversion. Fairborn Studebaker now has them made up. Conversion for Hudson dana was discussed with him as well. They didnt feel that the market was good enough to warrent production.